Broadcast across the shortwave frequencies at 00:01:23 GMT

 


   Racket, din, clamor, noise. Whatever you want to call it, unwanted sound is America's
   most widespread nuisance. But noise is more than just a nuisance. It constitutes a real
   and present danger.... Day and night, at home, at work, and at play,
   noise can produce serious physical and psychological stress. No one is immune to this
   stress. Though we seem to adjust to noise by ignoring it, the ear, in fact, never closes
   and the body still responds - sometimes with extreme tension....

   The annoyance we feel when faced with noise is the most common outward symptom of the    stress building up inside us. Indeed, because irritability is so apparent, legislators    have made public annoyance the basis of many noise abatement programs. The more subtle    and more serious health hazards associated with stress caused by noise traditionally have    been given much less attention. Nonetheless, when we are annoyed or made irritable by    noise, we should consider these symptoms fair warning that other things may be happening    to us....

   Noise: A Health Problem    United States Environmental Protection Agency    Office of Noise Abatement and Control    Washington, DC 20460    August 1978

 
   To which
               let me just add. . .   .

 
   Imagine a CENTRAL AUDITORY PROCESSING DISORDER built up over time as one discrete harmonic of a massive environmental standing wave. Dimensionally complex. Transient across frames of reference. Focused on and stable around an energy source—a self aware, self motive intelligence. In this case, a person. Some impetus about the person serves to generate–or seek–conditions that re-enforce the inputs modifying the receptors. Or, more exactly, signaling the self modification of the reception. The modification could be considered either an adaptation or an adverse reaction, but it must be assumed to be a disassociated consequence of the framework underlying the repeated exposure. Hence the cyclical history in question.

 
   Acousticophobia doesn't really sum it up. Phonophobia trys, but doesn't get any closer. Our old friend Antipathy dances around the mark looking a little too self conscious and antagonistic. And anyway, she's got two left feet.

 


    Le Mothe de Nayer felt faint at the sound of any musical
    instrument; Nicano had a strong aversion to the sound of
    a flute.

    E. Cobham Brewer 1810-1897. Dictionary of Phrase and Fable. 1898.

 
   It is best called an auto audio Attrition disorder. Or Hyperacusis?

              No?

                     W h a t    e l s e ?

 

            . . . . someone must have a name for this thing . . . . . . .

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.