The coolest thing about the 2600 for me was the "Secret Mode" almost every game entered if you switched the power off and on with a short pause in between of precisely the right duration. Once in the Secret Mode, every game behaved differently.

The Superman game would let you play as normal, with the exception that you couldn't fly, and Lex Luthor showed up as gibberish. In Pitfall II, you might remember that from the starting position, you can see your friend (Crazy Claws?) underground, but you have to play through the whole game to actually get to him. Well, in Secret Mode, you start the game and instantly fall through the ground like it's quicksand, and land right next to your buddy.

Of course, most games just spewed sprites and sound randomly at the screen and weren't good for much of anything. But the quest to figure out which games had hidden surprises made buying new games all the more fun. Too bad the current emulators can't activate this mode. =^(

Another interesting note:

If you happen across a working 2600 system, but can't find a controller to go with it, all is not lost! Simply plug in a controller from the Sega Genesis system, and play Yar's Revenge until dawn!

Atari 2600 has always been my favorite video game console. I love it so much. The games are so simple ( how complicated can you possibly get with 1 button? ) and yet, they can be so involving. I bought mine off a friend for 5 dollars, and i know own 3 different versions of the console as well as about 90 games. Yet another interesting note: the controller can be substituted not only for a genesis controller, but also a commodore 64 controller. The atari also has an odd power input. It looks very much like an 1/8th inch headphone jack. i have always been tempted....

The following is a complete list of companies that produced games for the Atari 2600. Most of these companies are long out of business. But a few moved on to other things and managed to survive. One company Hozer Video Games still makes new Atari games.

Under each one of these companies you will find a complete list of games that they produced. This node used to host a large gamelist, (but it was just to big for one node).

If you are looking to node an Atari game, this is the place to start. Companies in bold have already had all of their games noded.


Please send me a /msg if you node an Atari game. So I can consider it for a C!.

About the "secret mode", I remember the first time I saw it: The on/off switch was wearing out, and between the off to on transition occasionally made false contacts. The first game that acted weird was Raiders of the lost ark.

I think it was an electrical problem related to memory refresh, since first you had to turn the Atari 2600 on, then quickly poke the on-off switch to make it do a fast off-on cycle. Sometimes it did garble the game. Strangely enough, it could be garbled several ways, but the playable one was always the same. For example, Raiders of the Lost Ark would show the ark elevator with a lateral offset (Can't remember if left or right) in the opening screen. There were more alterations, but I can't recall them.

*Sigh* Man, those were good times. Looking for that old game node here reminded me when I was a 12yo, proud of my +50 black cartridges collection, all neatly piled up, with their top-side white-on-black bold-letters titles perfectly aligned. There were some colored or odd-shaped cartridges, but I kept them locked in a briefcase because they weren't as neat as the Atari standard cases... *sigh*

My favorite solo games were Demon attack and Yar's revenge. And Combat, Asteroids and Space War when there was company. Still today, my left thumb is about as twice as fast as my right one when hitting a button repeatedly.

I believe the gaming experience a 2600 gave was something unique, never to be repeated again. The games were simple and quick to learn, the game play was fast. What made them shine was the difficulty grade (for such a primitive console, you won't believe how hard some games were), the imagination of the player that filled the gaps between the booklet and what actually appeared on the TV, and my worst addiction, the one million score quest.

The king is dead. Long live the king!

Atari had been fairly successful with a home version of Pong in the mid-1970s, and the next logical step was a home video game system that could play a variety of different games. Atari's system, mainly created by Joe Decuir, Harold Lee, Ron Milner, and Steve Meyer, was leaps and bounds ahead of previous multi-game systems such as the Magnavox Odyssey, the Fairchild Channel F, and the RCA Studio II. Atari's system ran off a 1.19 MHz 6507 processor, contained 4K of ROM and 128 bytes of RAM, and could display graphics in either black and white or full color. The individual circuit boards for each individual game would be enclosed in plastic cartridges for durability and ease of use.

Atari didn't have enough capital to actually produce the system until after the company was purchased by Warner Communications for $28 million (supposedly, Warner executive vice president Manny Gerard saw a prototype of the system and said, "Holy shit, this is going to take over the world!"). The system was enclosed in a console with a faux woodgrain finish, six silver switches, and a cartridge slot; the console was put in a box with two plastic and rubber joysticks, two plastic paddle controllers, a TV adapter box, and a Combat game cartridge; and the boxes went on sale in the United States in November 1977 as the Atari Video Computer System, model number CX2600, list price $199. Eight other cartridges produced by Atari were available separately:

However, the VCS sold poorly at first. Most people had gotten bored with playing Pong at home by this point, and people didn't want to buy another home video game that would end up sitting in the closet.

But then Space Invaders came along in 1979. Its immense popularity in the arcades caused a bump in sales for home systems, including the VCS, and Atari acted quickly to sign with Space Invaders creator Taito to get exclusive rights to produce a home video game version. Atari's Space Invaders cartridge came out in early 1980, and sales of the VCS soared, to an estimated two million in just the U.S. by mid-1980.

Atari's coin-op division had a big hit with Asteroids at around the same time, and a VCS cartridge soon followed; Atari's Missile Command came out a year later and was yet another hit, both in arcades and at home.

Atari also signed deals with other arcade game manufacturers, notably Williams and Namco, to adapt their games for the VCS. In 1982, Namco's Pac-Man took the arcades by storm, and Atari rushed out a VCS version. Sales of the cartridge were strong, and Atari even began including Pac-Man instead of Combat with the VCS, now officially known as the Atari 2600 after updates to the packaging and the console itself put that name on both. However, most Pac-Man game players were disappointed by the blocky graphics and lackluster sound effects that weren't even up to the standards of previous Atari releases, to say nothing of the arcade version of Pac-Man. That year, Atari also signed up to create a game based on the hit movie "E.T.," and the game that was released turned out to be another disappointment.

Third party software producers began to also create games for the Atari 2600. The first was Activision, created by several disgruntled former Atari programmers. Atari sued, but eventually settled and allowed other companies to produce games in exchange for a small royalty payment.

Also in 1982, Atari introduced a more advanced video game system, the Atari 5200, to compete with Coleco's new Colecovision system. The 2600 remained in production and continued to sell well, especially after Atari dropped its price to under $100. Sales were disappointing for the 5200, which was incompatible with 2600 cartridges.

By 1983, the market for home video games had become pretty much saturated, and many of the third party producers went out of business. However, Atari saw opportunity, and in May 1984, announced another new video game system, the Atari 7800. Atari had learned its lesson from the slow sales of the 5200, and the 7800 would be completely compatible with cartridges for the 2600. Then, a couple months later, Warner Communications unloaded the struggling Atari on a group headed by former Commodore executive Jack Tramiel. The new owners of Atari put the 7800 on hold to fully concentrate on the home computer line, and development languished. However, even with virtually no marketing and no new cartridges, about one million Atari 2600s were sold during 1985 worldwide, thanks to the large back catalog of games.

Then Nintendo's NES arrived in America, and suddenly home video game systems were hot again. Atari competed by finally releasing the 7800 in 1987, and simultaneously releasing a redesigned 2600 as the Atari 2600 Jr. at the low, low list price of $49. A few new 2600 cartridges followed from Atari, including Jr. Pac-Man, Q*Bert, and Donkey Kong, as well as from a few new third party producers.

The brief revival was merely a last gasp for the 2600. The system went out of production in the U.S. by 1989, and worldwide within the next couple of years. Its place in history would be secure, though, as the best-selling home video game system of all time, a record unlikely to ever be broken because other systems are unlikely to remain on sale for 11-plus years the way the 2600 did.


Sources:

  • atariage.com
  • atari-history.com
  • retrogamer.merseyworld.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.