Ice Hockey: The pass or passes that immediately precede a successful scoring attempt. There are no more than two assists allowed for one goal.

Credit given to a hockey player who passes the puck to a teammate, making it possible for the teammate to score a goal. A maximum of two players are credited with assists on each goal. Assists are not usually granted if there was intervening puck possession by the opposing team. Many great playmakers such as Wayne Gretzky accumulate many more assists than goals, by setting up plays for teammates.

Each assist counts as one point on a player's scoring totals.

In basketball, a pass that leads directly to a basket. The player who receives the pass is permitted three dribbles before he shoots, otherwise no assist is credited.

The point guard is usually responsible for the majority of a team's assists. A good point guard should average about an assist for every five minutes of play. A great point guard, such as John Stockton, will average considerably more. Stockton, over his career, has posted one assist for every 2.97 minutes of play.

A few teams employ point forwards--these are forwards with enough passing ability to run an offense. Grant Hill and Scottie Pippen are two examples.

Another important statistic is assist-to-turnover ratio. John Stockton has averaged 4 assists for every turnover he commits. A ratio of 3-to-1 is considered good for a point guard, whereas anything better than 1-to-1 is good for a frontcourt player.

As*sist" (#), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Assisted; p. pr. & vb. n. Assisting.] [L. assistere; ad + sistere to cause to stand, to stand, from stare to stand: cf. F. assister. See Stand.]

To give support to in some undertaking or effort, or in time of distress; to help; to aid; to succor.

Assist me, knight. I am undone! Shak.

Syn. -- To help; aid; second; back; support; relieve; succor; befriend; sustain; favor. See Help.

 

© Webster 1913.


As*sist", v. i.

1.

To lend aid; to help.

With God not parted from him, as was feared, But favoring and assisting to the end. Milton.

2.

To be present as a spectator; as, to assist at a public meeting.

[A Gallicism]

Gibbon. Prescott.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.