What You Will Need
2 Tbs. finely chopped shallot
1 Tbs. good-quality balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. sherry vinegar
3 blood oranges
11/2 lb. asparagus, trimmed
2 to 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
kosher salt and fresh black pepper to taste

What Now?
In a small bowl, combine the shallots with the vinegars and let the shallots macerate at least 20 min. Meanwhile, zest 1 of the oranges (avoiding the bitter white pith). Finely chop the zest and add it to the shallots. Juice the zested orange to yield about 1/3 cup and add the juice to the shallots and vinegar. Slowly pour in the olive oil, stirring to mix.

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the asparagus and simmer until just tender, about 3 minutes. Shock them in cold water to stop the cooking, drain and spread the spears on paper towels to cool.

Cut off the ends of the remaining 2 oranges and peel them by running a sharp knife down the fruit vertically, following the contours. Slice the peeled orange horizontally into 1/4-inch slices. Just before serving, toss the cooled asparagus with the vinaigrette. Arrange the spears and the orange slices on salad plates. Garnish with pepper, perhaps a few shavings of parmesan, and serve immediately.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.