A nasty demon who shows up in an Apocryphal book from the Old Testament called the The Book of Tobit, and is referred to in the Talmud as the King of Devils. In the The Book of Tobit, Asmodeus falls in love with a woman named Sara, and he kills her husband every time she marries on their honeymoon. This happens seven times. On the eighth time, she marries Tobias, who was warned of Asmodeus by the angel Raphael. Tobias, with the aid of Raphael, creates a charm from the heart and liver of a fish that was burned on ashes, and this charm causes Asmodeus to be banished away to Egypt (which was, at the time, the most horrible and distant land the Israelites could think of). In Paradise Lost, he was described as smelling and looking like a fish.

Asmodeus also shows up in various Jewish folk tales, bearing the same role as The Devil in their contemporary Christian counterparts.

According to the Talmud, King Solomon was able to capture Asmodeus and press him into labor during the construction of the first temple.

In the middle ages, Christian Demonologists classified Asmodeus as the archdemon of the deadly sin of Lust.

One of the fallen angels. His name means "creature of judgement", and is derived from "ashma daeva" (Persian). The origins of this angel are actually Persian, rather than Hebrew, although he has been incorporated into Hebrew lore as an evil spirit. He is purported to have made Noah drunk, to have slain the seven bridegrooms of Sarah, and to have been defeated by Raphael and banished to Upper Egypt. Asmodeus rules over gaming houses, and tricks those who invoke him while wearing a head covering. In various sources, Asmodeus appears as a romantic figure, as the son of Adam and Lilith, and as the son of Tubal-Cain and his sister Naamah. According to Solomonic legend, he is Saturn. He has been credited with the creation of carousels, music, dancing, drama, and "all the new French fashions".

Asmodeus

A fallen angel who became the demon of lechery, jealousy, anger and revenge. The goals of Asmodeus are to prevent intercourse between husband and wife, wreck new marriages and force husbands to commit adultery. He also is frequently blamed in cases of demonic possession.

In the lore of fallen angels, Asmodeus is regarded as one of the most evil. He is usually portrayed as having three heads: that of an ogre, a ram and a bull, all sexually licentious creatures. He also has the feet of a cock, another sexually aggressive creature. He has ugly wings, rides on a dragon (a Christian symbol of Satan and evil) and breathes fire.

"Asmodeus has his roots in ancient Persian mythology. He is identified with the demon Aeshma, one of seven archangels. The Hebrews absorbed him into their mythology, where he attained the highest status and most power of his legends. According to the Hebrews he is the son of Naamah and Shamdon."
~ Rosemary Ellen Guiley. The Encyclopedia of Witches and Witchcraft.

He was part of the seraphim, the highest order of angels, but fell from grace when LUCIFER was cast out from heaven. In other Hebrew legends he is either associated with, or is the husband of, LILITH, the demon queen of lust. He also is said to be the offspring of Lilith and Adam.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.