An astrology term meaning the point on the Eastern horizon at the time of birth, or the sign on the cusp of the first house in a horoscope. Tis is the representative of the sun as it appears in natal charts. What it affects is a persons outward personality, what they reflect and project to others. Though this may seem confusing, it is not to be mistaken for the actual sun sign. Also one of the three aspects that are considered most important in finding out what a person is made of astrologically speaking.

As*cend"ant (#), n. [F. ascendant, L. ascendens; p. pr. of ascendere.]

1.

Ascent; height; elevation.

[R.]

Sciences that were then in their highest ascendant. Temple.

2. Astrol.

The horoscope, or that degree of the ecliptic which rises above the horizon at the moment of one's birth; supposed to have a commanding influence on a person's life and fortune.

⇒ Hence the phrases To be in the ascendant, to have commanding power or influence, and Lord of the ascendant, one who has possession of such power or influence; as, to rule, for a while, lord of the ascendant.

Burke.

3.

Superiority, or commanding influence; ascendency; as, one man has the ascendant over another.

Chievres had acquired over the mind of the young monarch the ascendant not only of a tutor, but of a parent. Robertson.

4.

An ancestor, or one who precedes in genealogy or degrees of kindred; a relative in the ascending line; a progenitor; -- opposed to descendant.

Ayliffe.

 

© Webster 1913.


As*cend"ant (#), As*cend"ent (#), a.

1.

Rising toward the zenith; above the horizon.

The constellation . . . about that time ascendant. Browne.

2.

Rising; ascending.

Ruskin.

3.

Superior; surpassing; ruling.

An ascendant spirit over him. South.

The ascendant community obtained a surplus of wealth. J. S. Mill.

Without some power of persuading or confuting, of defending himself against accusations, . . . no man could possibly hold an ascendent position. Grote.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.