Title: As If To Nothing
Artist: Craig Armstrong
Release Date: 16/04/2002
Record Label: Melankolic / Virgin Records

Tracklisting:
1. Ruthless Gravity (5:50)
2. Wake Up in New York, featuring Evan Dando (3:30)
3. Miracle, featuring Mogwai (3:19)
4. Amber (5:09)
5. Finding Beauty (3:38)
6. Waltz, featuring Antye Greie-Fuchs (5:16)
7. Inhaler (4:55)
8. Hymn 2 (4:49)
9. Snow, featuring David McAlmont (3:52)
10. Starless II (4:36)
11. Stay (Faraway So Close), featuring Bono of U2 fame (6:01)
12. Niente (4:48)
13. Sea Song, featuring Wendy Stubbs (5:54)
14. Let it Be Love, featuring Steven Lindsay (3:50)
15. Choral Ending (2:47)


Second solo album released by Craig Armstrong (after The Space Between Us in 1998). Follows on in much the same vein as his earlier work, combining Craig's classical training with the styles adopted on his works with the likes of Massive Attack.

Boasting only 5 non-instrumental tracks, the album can at times feel like a sprawling beast not sure of where to go and some of the tracks feel like filler. Having said that, there is a lot to like, Steven Lindsay's (not a name I'd heard before) wonderful voice on Let It Be Love, the obvious Mogwai influence on Miracle, and the U2 cover (reworking?), Stay (Faraway So Close) if you're into that kind of thing.

I don't want this writeup to sound too negative as Craig is a wonderful musician and this album has spent a lot of time in my CD player, it's just that when compared to earlier works (specifically the brilliance of The Space Between Us), it's a bit of a let down.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.