A.R.O.W.

Aviation mnemonic to remind you of the required documents to make an airplane airworthy. These documents are checked as part of any pre-flight inspection.

Without these documents the airplane can be brand new and in perfect shape but still be unairworthy. The required documents are:

Airworthiness Certificate.
Registration.
Operating limitations.
Weight and Balance


Airworthiness Certificate:
Each aircraft is issued an airtworthiness certificate as it leaves the factory. This certificate certifies that the airplane meets the design requirements and is safe to operate.

Registration:
Just like the registration in your car. It includes things like Owner's name, registration number, Owner's address, and aircraft serial number.

Operating limitations:
Most people think this means having the aircraft's Pilot Operating Handbook (POH). That is usually true however there is another requirement and that is placards. Some placards are required by Airworthiness Directive (AD) or by the aircraft's type certificate. These placards are considered part of the operating limitations.

Weight and Balance:
A current weight and balance sheet is required to be kept in the aircraft. Also, if the aircraft's weight and balance has a special condition (such as the aircraft is easily loaded out of aft C.G. under normal loading conditions) a loading chart must be kept with the weight and balance.

If you happen to be flying internationally today you will need to add another "R" document and that is a current FCC Radion Station License.

If a man comes up and identifies himself as being from the FAA and asks to see these papers you'd better hope that you either have them or aren't flying today. You've just been subjected to the dreaded ramp check.

A*row" (#), adv. [Pref. a- + row.]

In a row, line, or rank; successively; in order.

Shak.

And twenty, rank in rank, they rode arow. Dryden.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.