In the book of Revelations, Armageddon is presaged by the four horsemen of the apocalypse. They are not specifically named but by description they would seem to be War, Conquest, Famine, and Death. Each is given power over a quarter of the Earth to destroy the human race. Armageddon (the Mountain of Megiddo) is presumably where the great battle between the Angels of both God and Satan will battle.

The End of the World As We Know It

The final war in which the fate of Man is decided.
The War to end all wars.
The Big One.

See also Ragnarok, Megiddo, The Rapture, etc.

The word is a mispronounciation of the name of Mount Megiddo (the Hebrew word for mount is 'har'), a mountain in Israel.

Armageddon - Criterion Collection (1998) (First pressing 1999)

Directed by Michael Bay

A gargantuan, overblown blockbuster. Meteor the size of Texas threatens the Earth, and only Bruce Willis can save the day with his motley crew. It starts off well, with suitably OTT rock storm sequences and lashings of verbose humour during basic NASA training, but once we hit the final 45 mins, the brakes slam on - everything becomes predictable and no longer thrilling. It's a shame, as Willis and company do try hard.

A halfway decent non-anamorphic transfer, which generally suffers from a large amount of onscreen aliasing, which results in the picture looking fuzzy. Close up and fast-moving shots are reasonable, as the effect is not as noticable. A good anamorphic transfer like the Buena Vista Region 2 release would surely help. Compression artifacts are kept to a minimum due to the high bitrate.

Superb use of the Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack, with wonderful spatially delinated use of all speakers. The low bass frequencies are pretty powerful.

A fairly decent selection of extras accompany the movie on 2 discs. Michael Bay's gag reel - showing Willis and Bob Thornton just faffing around on set. 5 deleted scenes, special effects documentaries, production design analysis, 2 sequences of storyboards, trailers and tv spots in MONO!! 2 commentaries,one lively and fun, the other dry but interesting. An interesting mix from Criterion. Also presented as the director's cut with around 3 mins of additional footage, most of which isn't relavent to the story. Bruce Willis' character with his dad, and Tyler's character with Willis at the end, complete with an unintentionally hilarious quote. (and no, I won't spoil it.. :) )

Armageddon is a highly modified DIKU MUD designed solely to provide a roleplaying experience against the setting of the harsh desert world of Zalanthas. Armageddon is as focused on serious roleplay as any MUSH; but it combines that roleplaying focus with the hard-coded realism of a DIKU MUD. Players are required to maintain a high level of roleplay at all times, and our standards are demanding.

The world of Armageddon is known as Zalanthas. It is a harsh planet where only the fittest survive, and competition over extremely scarce resources causes constant strife, struggle, and bloodshed. Deserts cover most of its explored surface, and the great red sun can bring temperatures as high as 150 degrees during mid-day and as low as 60 degrees at night. Your character will face hardship often, and will probably even be killed, possibly at the hands of another player. If your character dies, he or she is dead -- permanently. However, you can always make another; just keep in mind that your new character will have no knowledge of your previous life.

Armageddon is, first and foremost, a role-playing game. It has a combat system, magick spells, and thousands of other features for added realism, but you must keep in mind that the only reason everyone is here is to have fun while acting out a role. The most important thing is playing your character according to their own personality in order to help in the creation of a realistic fantasy world.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.