Saint Apollonia of Alexandria
Feast Day: February 9

Apollonia was a martyr who was one of many killed by an anti-Christian mob during unrest in Alexandria in 249. Her suffering was described in a letter from Bishop Dionysius of Alexandria to Bishop Fabius of Antioch.
"These men seized her also and by repeated blows broke all her teeth. They then erected outside the city gates a pile of fagots and threatened to burn her alive if she refused to repeat after them impious words. Given, at her own request, a little freedom, she sprang quickly into the fire and was burned to death.
In art, her suffering is often depicted with pincers pulling out her teeth. Apollonia is the patron saint of dentists.

Quote from The Catholic Encyclopedia
Apollonia was the nom de music of Patricia Kotero.

Born August 2, 1961, Patty Kotero started her career in the late 70s, with a guest role on the TV show CHiPs. She got her big break when she starred in Prince's movie Purple Rain in 1984. Her role was originally to have been played by Vanity, who left during pre-production. Prince renamed Patty as Apollonia and produced her album Apollonia 6. After they disagreeed about the direction of her career, Apollonia left Prince and his management.

Although her musical career was effectively over -- subsequent albums got little attention -- Apollonia continued to appear on television and in movies. Her work includes

... a decidedly "B" list.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.