(Molecular biology) Referring to two complementary strands of DNA: to bind to one another in a sequence-specific manner via the formation of hydrogen bonds between nucleotides. Sometimes referred to as hybridization.


  • The sustained heating of a material such as steel or glass at a specific high temperature, followed by gradual cooling; this is done to eliminate weakness or to produce other qualities.
  • The pairing of complementary DNA or RNA sequences, via hydrogen bonding, to form a double-stranded molecule. Most often used to describe the binding of a short primer or probe.



  • From the BioTech Dictionary at http://biotech.icmb.utexas.edu/. For further information see the BioTech homenode.

    An*neal" (#), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Annealed (#); p. pr. & vb. n. Annealing.] [OE. anelen to heat, burn, AS. anlan; an on + lan to burn; also OE. anelen to enamel, prob. influenced by OF. neeler, nieler, to put a black enamel on gold or silver, F. nieller, fr. LL. nigellare to blacken, fr. L. nigellus blackish, dim. of niger black. Cf. Niello, Negro.]

    1.

    To subject to great heat, and then cool slowly, as glass, cast iron, steel, or other metal, for the purpose of rendering it less brittle; to temper; to toughen.

    2.

    To heat, as glass, tiles, or earthenware, in order to fix the colors laid on them.

     

    © Webster 1913.

    Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.