Anne, Queen of England, was the second daughter of King James II and came to the throne in 1702 after the death of her brother-in-law William III, who had ruled jointly with Anne's sister Mary II until her death and then alone afterwards. William and Mary had no children, so Anne was the heir (Parliament having passed the Act of Settlement to keep Anne's Catholic half-siblings off the throne). Anne had not gotten along terribly well with her sister and brother-in-law since their accession to the throne, feeling that she was not treated as well as her rank merited, nor was her husband (and that William, who was third in line to the throne of England even before his marriage to his first cousin Mary, had rather jumped his place in line in getting to rule before Anne).

Anne married Prince George of Denmark in 1685, and the two lived in England as a very happy couple despite Anne's 18 pregnancies producing only 5 living children, none of whom survived past the age of 11. Anne's health was never that good, particularly after a pregnancy a year for nearly two decades, and at her coronation she was having an attack of gout so bad that she could not stand at all during the ceremony. Her emotional health was probably not all that great either, given that she had lost her mother at a young age, her many dead children, her disagreements with her sister, and her guilt over being a part of the Glorious Revolution against her father because of his Catholic religion.

Anne had not received much of an education and did not have cultured tastes; she preferred gambling and hunting to art and literature, but this actually helped make her more popular with the English people. She was a deeply religious Anglican and paid for the building of several London churches and a fund to increase the salaries of poor clergy. Nonetheless, she had nothing against Catholics as individuals. She once wrote her father a secret letter suggesting that she would try to get her half-brother James named as her heir (once it became clear she would not have any more children) despite the country's opposition. (This was likely an attempt to stop any conspiracies to overthrow her and put him on the throne, because Anne was too devoted to her own church and too aware of English public opinion to even try to get a Catholic named heir to the throne.) Anne officially agreed that her Protestant cousins in Hanover, would be her heirs, but refused to have any of them come to live in England while she was alive.

As queen, Anne tried to steer a middle way between the relatively new political parties, the Whigs and the Tories, but this was often very difficult. England's participation in the War of the Spanish Succession was controversial, even when the Duke of Marlborough was winning battles for their side. (And personal turmoil came to Anne over politcal and personal disagreements with her close friend Sarah, Duchess of Marlborough and wife of the war hero.) During Anne's reign the Act of Union was passed, putting England and Scotland officially under the same government (though they'd been ruled by the same monarch since Anne's great-grandfather James I).

Anne's husband Prince George died in 1708, leaving her without her greatest personal support. Anne fell even more ill during the last years of her life, not helped by the amount she drank (some nicknamed her "Brandy Nan"). During her last years government officials found it difficult to get responses from her on matters of state. She died after two strokes a few days apart, on 1 August 1714. (People joked that she had gained so much weight that her coffin was almost square.) Jacobites, supporters of her half-brother James, put about the rumor that she had made a deathbed reference to James and how he should be her heir, but this is not true; she was barely able to say "yes" and "no" and did not even manage to sign her will. Anne's second cousin George I, great-grandson of James I, succeeded her.

Sources:
Van der Zee, Henri and Barbara, 1688: Revolution in the Family, London: Viking, 1988.
Waller, Maureen. Ungrateful Daughters: The Stuart Princesses Who Stole Their Father's Crown, New York: St. Martin's Press, 2002.
Williamson, David. National Portrait Gallery History of the Kings & Queens of England, New York: Konecky & Konecky, 1998.

Anne is the French form of Hannah. Variants include Ann and Anna.

Hannah is favor or grace in Hebrew. The mother of Samuel the prophet in the Old Testament.

If your name is Anne, the Kabalarian Philosophy offers this. A girl with the first name of Anne will have a rather quiet, reserved, serious, studious nature. She will have sensitivity and appreciation for the finer and deeper things in life, the beauties of nature, music, art, and literature. She wil value those who can offer her intellectual companionship. It is only when she is with those who understand her deeper nature that she can truly be herself. Having her thoughts or remarks belittled or taken lightly can cause her to keep such things to herself. She may not express herself freely in conversation causing others to mistake her for being aloof or even unfriendly. Her difficulties expressing her deeper thoughts and feelings can lead to problems with more intimate assocaitions. This name can cause her to live much within herself, rather easily hurt or offended. At such times she may withdraw, perhaps not speaking to others. She will also have many fine qualities. She will be a thoughtful and analytical person and will know her own mind, even though she may not speak it. She will be conscientious and competent in all that she does. She will take her responsibilities seriously whether they be in the home, the community or on the job. Her problems in life will likely include worry and mental depression.

Some famous Annes include:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Episode Guide
{{Previous episode | Next episode}}

Anne
Season 3, Episode 1 (#3ABB01)
Original aired September 29, 1998

Synopsis
Now living in the big city, Buffy helps a woman whose boyfriend has mysteriously disappeared, while back in Sunnydale her friends battle the forces of evil on their own.


Season two closed with Buffy leaving town, distraught over sending Angel to hell and expelled from Sunnydale Highschool. Season three opens three months later with a vampire clawing his way out of a grave to face ... Willow, with Oz and Xander backing her up. Though it's obvious they can't match Buffy for slaying power, they continue to try. Soon school starts again, and Cordelia joins them on patrol. Between the four of them, their success rate improves, but only slightly. Meanwhile, everyone remains worried about Buffy, each handling it in their own way. Giles follows up on even the barest leads to her location (to no avail), and Joyce waits anxiously at home for her return.

Buffy has rented a small studio in the big city and taken a job a waitress in a diner. Her name tag reads, "Anne" - her middle name. She lives her days like sleep walker, and her nights are filled with dreams about Angel. While taking an order for a teenage couple, Rickie and Lily, they ask "Anne" her opinion of their new matching tattoo's of each other's names. "It's nice... Nice and permanent." Lily thinks she recognizes "Anne" and begins to pry. Spooked, Buffy beats a hasty retreat, but Lily figures out who "Anne" really is. She tracks Buffy down, to thank Buffy for saving her life by breaking up the vampire worshipping cult she was a part of. As they're talking, a senile old man shoulders past them and wanders into the street. Buffy saves him from getting hit by a car but she herself gets hit instead. Uninjured by the accident and afraid of the crowd it attracts, she flees the scene, eventually running into Ken. He operates a local shelter and seems a decent, caring guy, trying to help the runaways and street kids all too common in any major city.

The next day Lily appears at the diner. Rickie has disappeared, and Lily needs help finding him. Buffy tries to blow her off, but Lily is lost and forlorn. "I don't know what to do." They split up, arranging to meet up later. Buffy ends up finding Rickie in a flop house, or more specifically she finds a very old dead man with the same tattoo as Rickie. When Buffy tells Lily, Lily refuses to believe her. Now, it's Lily's turn to run away. She soon meets up with Ken, who on hearing she knows Rickie, tricks her into coming with him to the shelter.

Buffy finds Lily there just in time to see Lily get sucked through a viscous black portal. She follows Lily through into alternate dimension, which looks like some kind of factory using forced labor. "Ken", now visibly a demon, tells them they're in "Hell" and time moves more quickly here - over 100 years to a day on earth - so they'll be old and gray before anyone misses them. Due to their meeting earlier, Ken thinks Buffy is just another runaway. This lets Buffy surprise some guards and organize an escape of her fellow new recruits (including Lily). She distracts a large portion of the guards with pain and mayhem, until Ken theatens to kill Lily. Buffy surrenders, but Ken underestimates Lily and mid-victory speech, she pushes him over a ledge to a very long fall. Buffy then pummels her captors, and her group finishes escaping. That dimension has obviously had enough of them: immediately after they escape, the portal closes behind them. Realizing she can't run from who she is, Buffy leaves her studio, her job, and her middle name to Lily, and returns home.


Written and Directed by Joss Whedon

Guest Stars

Quotes

  • Buffy: This'll probably go faster if we split up.
    Lily: (nods in agreement) Can I come with you?
  • Buffy: Want to see my impression of Ghandi?
    (Buffy introduces the bad guy to the business end of a spiked club)
    Lily: Ghandi?
    Buffy: Well, if he was really pissed off.

Addtional Notes

  • While not the most quotable episode, it starts the season off in a solid and interesting manner. It also proves once again that getting your lover's name tattooed on you body is the death nell of any relationship.
  • Lily first appeared as "Chantarelle/Joan" in "Lie To Me" in the second season . She appears again, as "Anne Steele" in "Blood Money" and "The Thin Dead Line", two episodes from the middle of the second season of Angel.
  • The diner where Buffy works is called "Helen's Kitchen", reminiscent of "Hell's Kitchen" of Daredevil fame.
  • As of this episode, the voice-over in the opening credits disappeares, never to return. It's music only from here on.
  • Seth Green is part of the title sequence for the rest of this season.
  • Look for the long tracking shot with no edits on the first day of school. Cool!
  • At one point, Larry talks to friend about the Sunnydale High football team's great prospects - as long as there are fewer "mysterious deaths." These comments are echoed in the special award Buffy receives near the end of the season in "The Prom".

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Episode Guide
{{Previous episode | Next episode}}


Sources:
Booklet text from Buffy the Vampire Slayer:Season 3 (DVD)
www.imdb.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.