Anne Murray was born on June 20, 1945 in Springhill, a small coal-mining town in Nova Scotia. Her father was the town doctor and her mother was a registered nurse. She has five brothers.

She has been singing since she was a small child. She studied piano for six years, and began taking classical voice lessons at age 15. After high school, she spent a year at Mount Saint Vincent University, a Catholic women's college in Halifax, before transferring to the University of New Brunswick in Fredericton to study Physical Education (Yes, that's right - she trained to be a gym teacher).

In 1966, she appeared on CBC's Singalong Jubilee, where she met her future husband, Bill Langstroth (who was co-host of the show). The next year, she was offered a spot on Let's Go, a teen television show. She left her job as a high school gym teacher to begin a career in music that has lasted 35 years.

She married Bill Langstroth in 1975, and they had two children - William and Dawn. She was a guest star on many television shows during the 1970s, including The Bobby Vinton Show, American Bandstand, Saturday Night Live, and The Muppet Show. In 1989 she lent her name and support to the Anne Murray Centre in her hometown of Springhill, where the coal mine had closed and the economy needed a boost. Anne Murray has also recorded a lot of albums.

Her best known hits include: Snowbird, Danny's Song, You Needed Me, Could I Have This Dance and Love Song. Murray is a Companion of the Order of Canada and has 31 Junos and stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, Nashville's Walkway of Stars and Canada's Walk of Fame. She will be officially inducted into the Canadian Country Music Hall of Fame in September of 2002.

You might be wondering what she thought of that song from the South Park movie. Supposedly she got a big kick out of it. When asked to sing it at the Oscars, though, she declined: "Why would I sing it? I'm in it, it would make more sense for somebody else to do it. I thought it was so stupid that they'd even ask me." She added that she thought Robin Williams, who ended up singing it at the Oscars, had done a great job.

In 1998, she and her husband divorced, and her daughter had a much-publicized battle with anorexia nervosa. Anne Murray is a Registered Trademark. It says so at the bottom of every page on her web site. In her spare time, she enjoys playing golf.

Partial Discography:

Phew! In case you weren't paying attention (for which I certainly couldn't blame you), that's sixteen (16) compilation albums and five (5) Christmas albums. If you can't see why this might merit a little ridicule, I'm not even going to try to explain it to you. On the other hand, I must say that she has a lovely, warm voice and I wouldn't change the station if I heard it on the radio (although I don't own any of her numerous albums).


http://www.annemurray.com/

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.