Ann Murray is an Irish mezzo-soprano, one of the most famous performers of baroque and classical music, though her range is wide and she also does twentieth-century opera. Although she has appeared all over the world, she is most strongly associated with the London-based English National Opera and Royal Opera House.

Born in Dublin in 1949, she studied at the Royal Manchester College of Music. In June 2002 she became an honorary DBE -- being an Irish citizen she can't call herself Dame Ann Murray. She is married to the tenor Philip Langridge, whom she often sings with.

Her roles at Covent Garden, and which she tends to reprise elsewhere in the world to much acclaim, include Cherubino (in The Marriage of Figaro), Dorabella (in Così fan tutte), Donna Elvira (in Don Giovanni), Rosina (in The Barber of Seville), and Oktavian (in Der Rosenkavalier).

"In 1998 Ann Murray was awarded the title of Kammersängerin of the Bavarian State Opera", say my sources, but I don't know what kind of honour the title Kammersängerin ("chamber-singer") is.

She is not the same as the Canadian popular singer Anne Murray.

http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Bio/Murray-Ann.htm has photos and a lot more of the detail of the "she has sung Dorabella in New York, Florence, Ulan Bator... under such-and-such a conductor" style, if you really must know. All the websites on her just repeat this, which is why I can't give any real biography of her between 1949 and 2002.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.