This is one of the 18 genders categorized by some in feminist theory. This is not to be confused with a "sex". Biologically, humans can be male, female, or intersex. Genders, on the other hand, are seen as specific to the individual. Now, since there are about 6 billion people currently on the earth - some generalization of gender has to be made.

An androgynous bisexual male is a person who is biologically male, sexually attracted to males and females, and whose ego is not inherently "masculine" or "feminine". This is to say, they don't think or behave in typically male or female patterns.

An ABM would typically wear more unisex clothing and hairstyles, have close friends of all sexes, and exhibit behavioral characteristics of both males and females. Their specific interests may be more of a motivating drive than their libido - but this does not constitute a lack of libido. An ABM might be more drawn to "personalities" then "looks", or they might be sexually drawn to certain physical characteristics that are present in males and females (ie - "nice legs" are the same sorts of legs whether they be a man's or a woman's). Generally though, they are not very concerned with others' genders in determining the level of sexual attraction. This is not the case for a masculine bisexual male, who might have two very different sets of characteristics for sexual attraction to other males and females.


Personally, as someone who is generally ABM, I find it hard to explain my position to others who are deeply entrenched in more traditional gender roles. They seem to think that if I am a male and I don't feel necessarily "male", that means I feel "feminine". They cannot escape their own binary thinking.

I feel like a "guy" in the sense that I have a penis and I like to use it... but more so I feel like a "human". I feel like a psychological bridge between how the guy brain and the girl brain operate. But of course, even this causes some doubt. How would we really know how "girls" think and how "guys" think, when we all have independent brains? Do we really all think the same way but just have different genitalia?

This is why it is so hard to classify gender - and indeed, perhaps 18 classifications isn't enough for even a simplified gender continuum.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.