The majority of Ancient Egyptians lived in towns and villages, strung out across the Nile Valley. These were all up on high ground, at the edge of the desert within the Cultivated Valley. This was to escape the annual flooding.

In the Old Kingdom ( 2686BC - 2181BC ) houses were built out of reeds, in the shape of a beehive.

In the Middle Kingdom ( 2055BC - 1069BC ) houses were built out of dried mud blocks. These buildings were very fragile, so when the walls started to crack, the houses occupants would knock it down, and rebuild on top of it.
The buildings in the Middle Kingdom included; Houses, palaces, government offices, and temples.

When the New Kingdom ( 1550BC - 1069BC ) rolled on in, houses were not only built out of dried mud, but stone also.
New buildings in the New Kingdom were; Granaries, bakeries, and breweries. These were important features in all towns, so important infact, models of these buildings were buried with people when they died.

Town Houses were built with a shelter on the roof, to catch cool north breezes. Families would often live there during the hot weather.
These Town Houses were very dark inside, and were quite cramped also.

A Nobleman's Villa ( read Ancient Egyptian Society to find out about Noblemen ) was a family home, where servants, and animals also lived. The Nobleman would often do business deals there also.
Nobleman's Villas, would have beautiful gardens, with terraces.

Bathrooms were enjoyed only by the rich. The bathroom walls were lined with limestone slabs to protect the mud bricks mixing with the water.

Furniture in these ancient Egyptian houses ( in most of the Kingdoms ) included; Chairs, stools, lamps, beds, chests, mats, curtains, and shrines ( statue gods ).

Egyptian Architechture was very advanced for the time.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.