The word salacious means appealing to or stimulating sexual desire; lascivious; lustful; bawdy. How strange that the same root-word manifest itself into some form of lobsterwoman? And that for all her glory, lowly lust is all we offer the Queen of the Sea...departed as she may be...

Amphitrite was one of the fifty Nereides(sea goddesses). To the Romans, she was Salacia. Her parents are either Oceanus and Tethys or Nereus and Doris. She, along with the other Nereides, were known to help sailors in need.

From the moment Poseidon saw Amphitrite, he knew that he wanted to marry her. However, she was against this. In an attempt to escape his advances, she hid deep in the ocean. Poseidon was not about to let the his future bride slip through his fingers so easily. He dispatched a dolphin to find her. The dolphin, went above and beyond the call of duty and actually brought Amphitrite to Poseidon. After all this, Amphitrite agreed to marry Poseidon and they went on to have Triton as their son.

Αμφιτριτη

The Queen of the Sea, she who encircles the Earth. She was a member of the circle of the daughters of Nereus and Doris known as the Nereids, and it was she who led their chorus. One day when they were all dancing near the island of Naxos Poseidon saw her and carried her off. There is also a story that Poseidon had been in love with her for a long time but that she would have nothing to do with him and hid herself in the depths of the Ocean beyond the Pillars of Hercules. She was discovered by the Dolphins and brought back by them in a great procession to Poseidon, who married her. She played the same part in the company of the gods as Hera with Zeus and Persephone with the god of the dead. She was frequently depicted surrounded by a large retinue of divinities of the sea.

{E2 DICTIONARY OF CLASSICAL MYTHOLOGY}

Table of Sources:
- Hom. Od. 3, 91; 12, 60
- Hesiod, Theog. 243
- Apollod. Bibl. 1, 2, 7; 1, 2, 2; 1, 4, 5
- schol. on Hom. Od. 3, 91
- Hyg. Astron. 2, 17

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.