Amorgos, compared to other Greek islands, has fewer beaches but great swimming off the rocks in the main port of Katapola. Like most of the other islands, it is characterised by many tavernas and nightlife. Unfortunately, most of the boats arrive at inconvenient times, (like three in the morning), which gives a traveler a strange first impression. The Northern port of Agiali has nice beaches and is more of a resort area and is also reached by ferry. The capital town or Chora (the name of most island capitals) is up in the mountains. The island grows on you. The Monastery of Chozoviotissa built into the wall of a cliff on the other side of the island from the port of is definately worth the trip. The small beach below is excellent for snorkling through a maze of boulders that have fallen from the cliffs. Popular with the French and aging hippies this is a great island for walking. Easy connections to Paros and Naxos, the trip from Pireaus is about 8 hours. The small boat Skopelitos visits the Small Cyclades islands of Schinousa, Donousa, Koufonisi and Iraklia. Worth a couple of days to explore, and relax (the whole point of going to Greece), and then move on to other islands.

--back to Greek Islands--
adapted with permission; please see main node

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.