I have no idea what makes them Amish but loathe was I to spend another holiday eating boring sugar cookies slathered in colored tasteless icing that gets rock hard after a few hours. I turned to allrecipes.com, a site I highly recommend for all your culinary ventures. This is what I found and in the quiet of last night with everyone in the house asleep I played in the kitchen and made about 6 dozen of these delicious, somewhat plain little cakelike creations. So soft, so fluffy. Turns out they go great with tea.

I also added a dollop of strawbery jam to the middle of about half of them, like the thumbprint cookies my grandma used to make. The interesting thing about these is that it's more of a batter than a dough, but a very sticky one. I suggest using 2 well greased spoons (one for scooping, one for scraping off the scooping spoon) whilst plopping your dough/batter onto your cookie sheets.

AMISH SUGAR COOKIES
yield: approx 72 cookies

GetThis:

1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup *buttermilk
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Do This:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Mix together vegetable oil (yes, 1 1/2 cups of vegetable oil), sugar and eggs. Mix in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, buttermilk, salt and vanilla.
3. Pour teaspoon-sized amounts of batter onto cookie sheets, leaving plenty of room in between. These cookies will puff up and get large.
4. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
5. Cool on wax paper at least 15 minutes. *In place of buttermilk, I know I never have any just sitting around my fridge, you can sour any kind of regular milk using 1 tsp. lemon juice per cup of milk and let it sit for 15 minutes before adding it to your recipe. :) (thank you fanny farmer!)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.