Ambrosia

1 oz. Applejack,
1 oz. Brandy,
1 dash Triple Sec,
Splash of Lemon juice,
Chilled Champagne
Shake all ingredients (except champagne) over ice, Pour into a highball glass,. Fill with chilled Champagne, stir lightly, and serve.

Back to the Everything Bartender

My mother's recipe for ambrosia is very sweet, so if you've got a sweet tooth that fruit alone cannot satisfy, try this.

Ingredients:

Mix it all together and chill. If yours seems a little dry, try adding a bit of milk. Serve at a picnic, outdoor barbecue, or any other brilliantly sunny occasion.

Ambrosia was the legendary food of the gods which granted them immortality. It was also the food eaten by the Centaurs, and Satyrs.

Amanita Muscaria and Panaeolus Papilionaceus, two mushrooms which grow in Greece, have hallucinogenic properties. They also induce violence, deep spiritual visions, increased sexual energy, and considerably augment physical strength. This goes far in explaining the myths that convey the Centaurs as a violent race, and also helps to explain their mystic nature that seemingly conflicts with their penchant for violence. These same mushrooms are believed to have been utilized by the Norse Berserkers to augment their strength in battle. The image of this mushroom appears on some art depicting centaurs, including vases and other decorated clay medium.

As the cult of Dionysus grew its followers were sworn to secrecy about what went on at the ceremonies. They often had visions and believed that they were promised immortality.

The Masatec Indians have a god named Tlaloc, the mushroom god. His worship entails eating a hallucinogenic mushroom closely related to the one present in Greece. An eerie parallel is present between the Masatec and early Greek religion. Both Tlaloc and Dionysus were born of lightening, and in both cultures it is believed that mushrooms came from lightning. Both the Greek ambrosia and the Masatec ritual mushroom are reffered to as "Food of the Gods." It seems very likely that these "Magic Mushrooms" have been responsible for concepts of Heaven and Hell in both Europe and the Americas.


Graves, Robert. The Greek Myths. London: Folio. 2002.

Am*bro"sia (?; 277), n. [L. ambrosia, Gr. &?;, properly fem. of &?;, fr. &?; immortal, divine; 'a priv. + &?; mortal (because it was supposed to confer immortality on those who partook of it). &?; stands for &?;, akin to Skr. mrita, L. mortuus, dead, and to E. mortal.]

1. (Myth.)

(a)

The fabled food of the gods (as nectar was their drink), which conferred immortality upon those who partook of it.

(b)

An unguent of the gods.

His dewy locks distilled ambrosia.
Milton.

2.

A perfumed unguent, salve, or draught; something very pleasing to the taste or smell. Spenser.

3.

Formerly, a kind of fragrant plant; now (Bot.), a genus of plants, including some coarse and worthless weeds, called ragweed, hogweed, etc.

 

© Webster 1913


Am*bro"sia (?), n. (Zoöl.)

The food of certain small bark beetles, family Scolytidæ believed to be fungi cultivated by the beetles in their burrows.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.