Amazon Women on the Moon (1986) - Weasello Rating: {>>>-} (Great!)

I'm not an ass so you won't find any spoilers in this review without decent warning.


I don't know about you, but I'm a sucker for really stupid movies sometimes. I don't mean stupid like Ace Ventura, I mean stupid like Monty Python. And AWOTM is exactly that: Monty Python, americanized.

I know that many times, the US has tried to dupilicate hit british comedies, and they often fail (Red Dwarf ripoff that never made it: Homeboys in Space). But this - this is a rare, and hilarious success. Don't get me wrong, though - Monty Python is still funnier.

The all-star cast (of 1986, obviously) makes this sketch comedy a real winner. The layout is that of a TV station playing a very oldschool sci-fi movie (hence the title), with little commercials and short shows on between segments. If anything, rent this movie and watch it for the main sci-fi show. You can see the wires holding up the spaceships, and there's grass and blue skies on the moon. Amazing!

Notable Sketches:
  • Amazon Women on the Moon - The namesake of the movie, one of my favorite picks. 3 astronauts (that scarily resemble all characters from old 50's space movies, such as Crash of the Moons) land on the dark side of the moon (which is oddly lit with a sun and blue skies, and has green grass) where they find a tribe of amazon women living.
  • Pethouse Video - A porn star biography! She remains nude throughout the entire video.
  • Hospital - A woman that has just given birth and her husband argue with a doctor who has, aparantly, lost their baby somewhere. Has it's moments.
  • Murray in Videoland - A single guy, bored on a saturday night, goes to the video store. The clerk hands him a virtual girlfriend video from under the counter... "With hilarious results," as the movies would say. This one is kinda scary cuze these things (video girls) actually exist, and are a hot commodity in Japan.
  • Silly Pate - The appetizer of fun! I laughed good at this one.
  • Hairlooming - Why wear a rug when you can wear a RUG? That's right, get yourself a beautiful head of "hair". Now in shag!
  • Blacks without Soul - Apparantly one of the funniest segments of the show, that I don't remember but Kalen does. Maybe I remember. It was sort of Undercover Brother trimmed down to 5 minutes. Perhaps.
  • ??? - Other short sketches are included but they may be nameless/short/I can't remember.
Recommendation: Watch this at a party with your friends.. tonight!

Notes: This movie was also known as The Best Movie Ever Made (working title) and Cheeseburger Film Sandwich.

Arsenio Hall?! ARSENIO HALL!!

Comments:
  • tregoweth says "This movie is similar to Kentucky Fried Movie."
  • Servo5678 says "In the basic cable TV version the porn star bio features different footage in which the star is not nude. Gotta think of the children and all that."
From the box:
"Don't Miss It..." - Richard Corliss, Time Magazine

Starring:

JOHN LANDIS presents "AMAZON WOMEN ON THE MOON"
starring LOTS OF ACTORS written by MICHAEL BARRIE and JIM MULHOLLAND
executive producer GEORGE FOLSEY, JR. produced by ROBERT K. WEISS
directed by JOE DANTE, CARL GOTTLIEB, PETER HORTON, JOHN LANDIS, ROBERT K. WEISS
a UNIVERSAL release

Running Time: 1 Hour, 25 Minutes
Rated: R (Restricted) / 18A (Canadian Home Video Rating)
Everything from old science fiction films to TV movie critics are mercilessly lampooned in this bizarre off - the - wall comedy presented by John Landis.

The irreverent attack on contemporary life and the mass media revolves around a television channel that keeps viewers interested in a 1950's style sci-fi movie by interspersing a series of wild commercials, wacky shorts, and weird specials.

This outrageous film serves up an affectionate tribute to some of the silliest spectacles ever created in the name of entertainment, featuring the madcap antics of many of today's hottest stars.
Motion Picture: (C) 1986 Westward Productions.
Artwork: (C) 1987 Universal City Studios, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
(C) 1988 MCA HOME VIDEO
Sources: Memory, The Box, The Glorious IMDB.COM

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.