I had alligator soup for the first time the other day, because almost my whole family is sick (except me) and alligator soup is good for coughs in traditional Chinese medicine. It's actually alligator meat soup. The meat is dried and you make soup out of it. There are some other herbs and berries that my mom added that are equally good for the lungs and throat. The scent is familiar, but exotic. The alligator meat resembles a lot like dried squid, but it has a strong scent which I don't know how to describe. It smells good though. There are many types of soups that are good for coughs and oddly, they seem to be all reptile skin/meat soups. If you read the Dragonlance books, you'll remember that Bupu (a Gully Dwarf) gave Raistlin a dead lizard to put under his throat to stop his coughing.

Alligator soup is sort of a delicacy, it's quite expensive and I don't think we'll be having some any time soon until probably next winter when everybody gets sick again. It tastes quite good compared to a lot of soups that I've had that are supposedly good for you (like ginseng). Well at least some of the family have stopped coughing...

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.