Writer, born in New York City on March 16, 1952.

Alice Hoffman attended Adelphi University, from which she received a BA. She received a Mirrellees Fellowship to the Stanford University Creative Writing Center, which she attended in 1973 and 74, and received an MA in creative writing.

Her debut, Property Of,was written while she was studying at Stanford. It was published in 1973 by Farrar Straus and Giroux.Hoffman’s second novel, The Drowning Season was published by Dutton. With her third novel, White Horses, Hoffman began publishing with G.P. Putnam, where she continues to be published.

So far Hoffman has written thirteen novels, one book of short fiction, and three books for children. Her novel Here on Earth,a modern reworking of some of the themes of Emily Bronte’s Wuthering Heights, was an Oprah Book Club Choice. The novel Practical Magic was made into a movie starring Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman. Hoffman has also worked as a screenwriter and is the author of the movie Independence Day.

Hoffman's books are characterized by a certain melancholy, not-quite-real atmosphere (at least they feel that way te me). They mostly deal with women who do not quite fit into their surroundings (a divorcee in a conservative village, two sisters who have learned magic from their aunts) and their relationships with others. Supernatural aspects are often present.

Hoffman is married, lives outside Boston, and is the mother of two sons.

A complete bibliography can be found at www.alicehoffman.com.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.