town in the province of Caceres
, located on the Tago
Originally built by the Romans with the name of Norba Caesarea, it was mostly famous for the bridge built by Traianus that is almost 200 m long and 50 m tall.
Destroyed and re-built by the Arabs with the name of al-Qantara al-Sayf (where "al-Qantara" means "the bridge"), it was reconquered during the XII and XIII century by Ferdinand II and Alphonse IX.
In 1156 a Military order of Alcantara was founded and then recognized by pope Alexander III; it was eventually forgotten after 1600.