Divinity student turned journalist turned author. Watts was an influential 60s author and popular lecturer. His books on Zen, God et al are very readable, humorous and helpful in understanding other points of view. E.g. The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are. The Two Hands of God (about dualism). Beat Zen, Square Zen, and Zen. Most are available on cassette.

"Is a bird egging? Or an egg birding?"

Books by Alan Watts:
  • The Spirit of Zen; A Way of Life, Work, and Art in the Far East. London: John Murray, 1935.

  • The Legacy of Asia and Western Man: A Study of the Middle Way. London: John Murray, 1937.

  • The Meaning of Happiness: A Quest for Freedom of the Spirit in Modern Psychology and the Wisdom of the East. New York: Harper & Row, 1940.

  • The Theologia Mystica of Saint Dionysius. Worcester, Mass.: Holy Cross Press, 1944.

  • Behold the Spirit: A study in the Necessity of Mystical Religion. New York: Random House, Pantheon Books, 1947.

  • Easter -- Its Story and Meaning. New York: Henry Schuman Inc., 1950.

  • The Supreme Identity. New York: Random House, Pantheon Books, 1950.

  • The Wisdom of Insecurity: A Message for an Age of Anxiety. New York: Random House, Pantheon Books, 1951.

  • Nature, Man and Woman. New York: Random House, Pantheon Books, 1958.

  • "This Is It" and Other Essays on Zen and Spiritual Experience. New York: Random House, Pantheon Books, 1960.

  • Psychotherapy East and West. New York: Random House, Pantheon Books, 1961.

  • The Joyous Cosmology. New York: Random House, Pantheon Books, 1962.

  • Beyond Theology: The Art of Godmanship. New York: Random House, Pantheon Books, 1964.

  • The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are. New York: Random House, Pantheon Books, 1966.

  • Myth and Ritual in Christianity. Boston, Mass.: Beacon Press, 1968.

  • The Who Hands of God: The Myths of Polarity. New York: Macmillan Collier Books, 1963.

  • Does It Matter? Essays on Man's Relation to Materiality. New York: Random House, Pantheon Books, 1970.

  • In My Own Way: An Autobiography. New York: Random House, Pantheon Books, 1972.

  • Cloud-hidden, Whereabouts Unknown: A Mountain Journal. New York: Random House, Pantheon Books, 1973.

  • The Essence of Alan Watts. Berkeley: Celestial Arts, 1974.

  • Tao: The Watercourse Way. With the collaboration of Al Chung-liang Huang. New York: Random House, Pantheon Books, 1975.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.