Repeated exposures to a chemical may result in the progressive increase of its concentration in an organism, organ or tissue; illness or other effects of the chemical's toxicity may increase with successive doses.

Factors involved in accumulation include selective binding of the chemical to tissue molecules, concentration of fat soluble chemicals in body fat, absent or slow metabolism of the chemical, and slow excretion of the chemical. Accumulation is a mass balance effect where input exceeds output.


From the BioTech Dictionary at http://biotech.icmb.utexas.edu/. For further information see the BioTech homenode.

Ac*cu`mu*la"tion (#), n. [L. accumulatio; cf. F. accumulation.]

1.

The act of accumulating, the state of being accumulated, or that which is accumulated; as, an accumulation of earth, of sand, of evils, of wealth, of honors.

2. Law

The concurrence of several titles to the same proof.

Accumulation of energy or power, the storing of energy by means of weights lifted or masses put in motion; electricity stored. -- An accumulation of degrees Eng. Univ., the taking of several together, or at smaller intervals than usual or than is allowed by the rules.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.