The following is a bill put before Congress on January 4, 1995 by Senator Daniel Moynihan. He cites the end of the Cold War as justification for the transfer of CIA duties to the State Department.

Unfortunately for the people of the United States, and in fact people around the world, the gigantic intelligence empire created during and after World War II will prove much harder to dismantle than it was to create. Considering the Bush family's long history of involvement in the CIA, and the threat of terrorism, it is extremely unlikely that any bill such as this one will be passed any time soon.


Abolition of the Central Intelligence Agency Act of 1995 (Introduced in the Senate)

S 126 IS

104th CONGRESS

1st Session

S. 126

To unify the formulation and execution of United States diplomacy.

IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES

January 4, 1995

Mr. MOYNIHAN introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Select Committee on Intelligence


A BILL

To unify the formulation and execution of United States diplomacy.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

TITLE I--SHORT TITLE

SEC. 101. This Act may be cited as the `Abolition of the Central Intelligence Agency Act of 1995'.

TITLE II--ABOLITION OF THE CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE AGENCY

SEC. 201. PURPOSE- It is the purpose of this title to unify the formulation and execution of United States foreign policy by providing overall authority over intelligence activities to the Secretary of State.

SEC. 202. FINDINGS- The Congress finds that--

(1) the creation of the Central Intelligence Agency as a separate entity during the Cold War undermined the role of the Department of State as the primary agency of the United States Government in formulating and conducting foreign policy and providing information to the President concerning the state of world affairs; and

(2) it is desirable for the Secretary of State to serve as the official primarily responsible for coordinating and managing the gathering of intelligence.

SEC. 203. Transfer of Intelligence Functions-

(a) Not later than two years after the effective date of this Act there shall be transferred to and vested in the Secretary of State all of the functions, powers and duties of the Director of Central Intelligence, the Director of the Central Intelligence Agency and any officer or component of the Central Intelligence Agency.

(b) Not later than one year after the effective date of this Act, the Secretary of State, after consultation with the Director of the Central Intelligence Agency and other relevant officials, shall transmit to the Congress a plan for (1) effecting the transfer of functions under this section and (2) administering those functions. In designing the plan the Secretary shall also consult with the Congress, other relevant federal agencies and the President's Foreign Intelligence Advisory Board.

(c) The Secretary of State is authorized to conduct the functions transferred by subsection (a).

(d) The transfer of a function or office from an officer or agency to the Secretary of State includes any aspects of such function or office vested in a subordinate of such officer or in a component of such agency.

Sources:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c104:S.126.IS:

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.