compiled overview of the 80ton Awesome 'Mech, from various BattleTech novels and game sourcebooks:



The AWS-8Q Awesome is one of the most feared vehicles on the battlefields of the Succession Wars. First built in 2665 by the Technicron Manufacturing Conglomerate under license from the Star League, it soon became a popular assault 'Mech in many regimental lances. Based on the design of the STR-2C Striker, the original assault 'Mech, the Awesome soon superseded that aging vehicle as the main assault 'Mech in almost all the Successor States.

The Awesome is widely used as an initial penetration vehicle. Massed Awesome lances are sent to destroy a point in the enemy defenses, allowing units that follow to exploit the breach. The Awesome is also used in many defensive situations, where it is usually responsible for the most threatened or important areas of a perimeter.

When seen ponderously approaching in battle formation, these 'Mechs strike fear in the hearts of even seasoned MechWarriors. Designed for ranged combat against opposing heavy 'Mechs, the Awesome carries out that assignment well. Its three Kreuss Particle Projection Cannons can heavily damage or destroy many opposing BattleMechs with one salvo. The head-mounted Diverse Optics Type 10 Small Laser and the heavy left-arm battle fist can cause heavy damage at point-blank ranges where the PPC weapons are less effective.

To achieve the Awesome's superb offensive and defensive capabilities, however, the designers sacrificed maneuverability. With its heavy structure, the Awesome is slow and cannot react to attacks from the rear as well as can BattleMechs with a greater number of weapons. It is also susceptible to damage in its legs, which could easily immobilize it or make it topple.

The Awesome is effective when used for the purposes its designers had in mind. If the 'Mech is mis-handled or poorly screened from flanking enemy units, however, it will not be able to fight off lighter 'Mechs quickly enough to keep from being surrounded.

The Awesome's designers have proved reluctant to modify a design so well liked. The AWS-9M version, however, represents a real improvement over the earlier AWS-8Q Awesome. The new Hermes 320 XL engine, for example, provides the new Awesome with a top speed of 65.6 kpha full 28% increase over the AWS-8Q's top speed.

Additionally, the AWS-9M features several new weapon systems that greatly enhance the versatility of the Awesome. The design features three Fusigon Longtooth extended range particle projection cannons, which extend the Awesome's striking range, and a torso-mounted Magna 400P medium pulse laser. For short range fighting, the AWS-9M retains the head-mounted small laser of earlier Awesomes, and adds a pair of Hovertec Streak SRM-2 pods.

When massed in their own assault lances, with screening recon units and good intelligence about enemy intentions, these 'Mechs are the dominant factor on most battlefields. The assessment by MechWarriors throughout the Successor States is that "The only defense against an Awesome is another Awesome."

In late 2928, two assault lances of House Marik's Fifth Brigade of the Fusiliers of Oriente conducted a raid on the 'Mech repair yard and storehouse of the planet Solaris. Equipped with six Awesome assault 'Mechs and two Javelin recon 'Mechs, these Marik troopers successfully pushed aside the feeble defense put up by an ad hoc lance of damaged and barely mobile Steiner 'Mechs. With four Awesomes on guard and the rest of the raiders shooting up anything that moved, the Fifth Brigade was able to make off with a large booty of supplies and spare parts before the defenders could call in reinforcements. The raid was one of the most successful ever conducted by House Marik forces.

During the Third Battle of Harrow's Sun in July 3002, the Awesome assault lances of the Davion Heavy Guards Regiment engaged defending lances of Kurita's Eighth Sword of Light Regiment and Fourth Proserpina Hussars. In the ensuing attack, the Heavy Guards rolled over the forward positions of the defenders but were not supported by their following troops, composed of 'Mechs of the mercenary Illician Lancers. Under combined attack from flank and rear, Davion's Awesome lances were forced to fall back with moderate casualties. Two weeks later, however, the Kurita forces evacuated Harrow's Sun and did not return to that system until 3020.



Note: Information used here was the domain of FASA before they split the rights between Wizkids LLC and Microsoft (table-top gaming and video games respectively). Copyright of the fluff text is in limbo, but names of persons, places, & things are without any doubt the property of Wizkids LLC. Use of any terms here related to the BattleTech trademark are not meant as a challenge to Wizkids LLC's rights.

Awe"some (?), a.

1.

Causing awe; appalling; awful; as, an awesome sight.

Wright.

2.

Expressive of awe or terror.

An awesome glance up at the auld castle. Sir W. Scott.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.