American Sign Language (or ASL) is a visual language, primarily used by deaf and hearing-impaired people.
A common misconception is that ASL is just a way of expressing English visually. It's not. While it shares vocabulary with Signed English, it has its own grammar and syntax. It more closely resembles French, because it was first introduced by a French monk who helped to found Gallaudet College in Washington, DC.

In the 60's, or thereabouts, there was a TV program, seen in Toronto and Ottawa, that used signing to great purpose.

The neatest thing about it, was the poor theatre multimedia effect achieved when a story was told in words, acted, sung, pantomimed, and signed. No great sets were used, no elaborate costumes. Just the actors, their passion, and their technique. It was, ostensibly, a children's show, but, I think, reached a greater audience.

The theme music was from the Rolling Stones' album, Their Satanic Majesties Request. The main lyric, or title, "Why don't we sing this song all together, open our heads and the pictures come".

An abbreviation for the question "Age, Sex, Location?" Used in chats with unknown people to determine those 3 variables. Caution: The reply is not neccessarily true.

Spawned from the insidiuous chatrooms of AOL, this question has proliferated through IRC, AIM, ICQ, and other remote communication protocols.

The popularity of this phenomenon has several theories. The most popular of these is the theory that AOL users have infected the rest of the internet. This occurs through protocols outside those of the AOL internal network. Another reason is that AOL users flee to other service providers, but take their habits with them.

Sample dialogue:
Person 1: hi
Person 2: hi
Person 1: ASL?
Person 2: age, sex, and location, and u?
Person 1: age, sex, and location, wanna cyber?

An instruction for the 6502 processor.
ASL shifts all bits left one position. 0 is shifted into bit 0 and the original bit 7 is shifted into the Carry.

Back to the 6502 opcodes metanode

1. American sign language.

2. See a/s/l.

3. A 6502 instruction that shifts the bits in a value in A or in memory one position to the left, setting the least significant bit to 0 and moving the most significant bit into carry. It could stand for "arithmetic shift left" or "A shift left".

  • Function: N <<= 1
  • Updates flags: S . . . . . Z C
  • Opcode numbers:
    dp    $06
    impl  $0A  ; works on value in A
    abs   $0E
    d,x   $16
    a,x   $1E
    

Similar: LSR | ROL | ROR
See also: 6502 instructions | 6502 addressing modes

Advanced Squad Leader, successful World War II tactical board wargame produced by Avalon Hill from the mid 1980s onwards. Units are individual vehicles and infantry squads/sections; reconfigurable hex-grid maps were on a scale of 40 m to the hex. A development of the (surprise!) Squad Leader game, it was designed in a modular fashion: you started with the Eastern Front module Cross of Iron and the (separately purchased) rulebook, and added maps, extra rules, and units from other armies and theatres of increasing levels of obscurity. Used as the basis for a number of computer games since.

ASL could also mean "above sea level", it's used when you want to tell someone how high something is, usually a mountain or a tall building.

Usage: Mount Everest is 8.848 meters ASL.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.