An acronym for alpha-methyl-tryptamine, a hallucinogenic/empathogenic tryptamine (a crystalline amine C10H12N2 derived from tryptophan). Correct my spelling if I'm wrong.

It is like candy-flipping, but lasts anywhere from 12-18 hours if you have the real thing.

Taking NADH can help reduce brain fog and the falling over and not being able to get up that may result from prolonged AMT usage, ahem.

AMT may cause your guts to feel conscious, copious amounts of vomitting, diarrhea, and hallucinations. And also it may cause you to feel a very close connection to anyone around you. Or it may make your feet feel very very very wonderful in water.

Doing AMT will make Carpal Tunnel Syndrome worse for days after using it.
Warning: do not get married while on an empathogen. When you sober up, you may regret it.

Legal Status of AMT in the United States

STATUS AS OF APRIL 7, 2004: The DEA has recently filed two documents with the Federal Register. The first extends the temporary scheduling until October of 2004. The second is an announcement that AMT and 5-MeO-DMT will be placed permanently on Schedule I.

  • http://frwebgate1.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate.cgi?WAISdocID=399796364022+1+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve
  • http://frwebgate1.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate.cgi?WAISdocID=399796364022+0+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve

On January 28, 2003, the DEA announced that they will be placing alpha-methyltryptamine (AMT), as well as 5-methoxy-N,N-diisopropyltryptamine (5-MeO-DiPT) into Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act via the emergency scheduling procedure. This emergency scheduling comes into effect on February 28, 2003, 30 days after the notice of intent was issued, and lasts for one year. The Attorney General may extend this period by six months.

The DEA stated that these substances represent an immediate threat to public health. Based on their previous publications regarding these substances, this perceived threat most likely comes from these substances being sold at raves or other events for human consumption. Prior to scheduling, individuals caught selling AMT or 5-MeO-DiPT at events could still be prosecuted under the analog statute of the CSA. AMT is a relatively safe substance in the sense that it is difficult to overdose on. Dosages can be accurately measured by any decent scale or balance with 10mg accuracy. Had it not been so popular in the black market, the DEA would have probably ignored it.

Below are a few excerpts from the DEA's Notice of Intent to Schedule Alpha-methyltryptamine and 5-methoxy-N,N-diisopropyltryptamine


The chemical structures of AMT and 5-MeO-DIPT possess the critical features necessary for hallucinogenic/stimulant activity. Thus, both AMT and 5-MeO-DIPT are likely to have a pharmacological profile substantially similar to other Schedule I tryptamine derivatives such as DMT and AET. In drug discrimination studies, both AMT and 5-MeO-DIPT substitute for 1-(2,5-dimethoxy-4-methylphenyl)-aminopropane (DOM), a phenethylamine-based hallucinogen in Schedule I of the CSA. The potencies of DOM-like discriminative stimulus effects of these and several other similar tryptamine derivatives correlate well with their hallucinogenic potencies in humans (Glennon et al., Eur. J. Pharmacol. 86:453-459, 1983).

AMT shares other pharmacological properties with Schedule I hallucinogens such as AET. AMT increases systolic and diastolic arterial blood pressures. The behavioral effects of orally administered AMT (20 mg) in humans are slow in onset, occurring after 3 to 4 hours and gradually subside after 12 to 24 hours, but may last up to 2 days in some subjects. The majority of the subjects report nervous tension, irritability, restlessness, inability to sleep, blurry vision, mydriasis and equate the effects of a 20 mg dose to those of 50 micrograms of lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD) (Hollister et al., J. Nervous Ment. Dis., 131: 428-434, 1960; Murphree et al., Clin. Pharmacol. Ther., 2: 722-726, 1961). AMT also produces hallucinations and dextroamphetamine-like mood elevating effects.

...

According to forensic laboratory data, the first encounter of AMT and 5-MeO-DIPT occurred in 1999. Since then, law enforcement officials in Arizona, California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, New Jersey, Oregon, Texas, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin and the District or Columbia have encountered these substances. According to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE), the abuse by teens and young adults of AMT and 5-MeO-DIPT is an emerging problem. There have been reports of abuse of AMT and 5-MeO-DIPT at clubs and raves in Arizona, California, Florida and New York. Many tryptamine-based substances are illicitly available from United States and foreign chemical companies and from individuals through the Internet. A gram of AMT or 5-MeO-DIPT as bulk powder costs less than $150 from illicit sources on the Internet. DEA is not aware of any legitimate medical or scientific use of AMT and 5-MeO-DIPT. There is recent evidence suggesting the attempted clandestine production of AMT and 5-MeO-DIPT in Nevada, Virginia and Washington, DC.

...

AMT and 5-MeO-DIPT share substantial chemical and pharmacological similarities with other Schedule I tryptamine-based hallucinogens in Schedule I of the CSA (AET and DMT). This makes it likely that these drugs cause similar health hazards. Tryptamine, the parent molecule of AMT and 5-MeO-DIPT, is known to produce convulsions and death in animals (Tedeschi et al., J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 126:223-232, 1959). AMT and 5-MeO-DIPT, similar to other tryptaine- or phenethylamine-based hallucinogens, through the alteration of sensory perception and judgment can pose serious health risks to the user and the general public. Further, there have been several self-reports on Internet websites describing the reported abuse of these substances in combination with other controlled drugs, namely MDMA, marijuana, gamma hydroxybutyric acid (GHB) and 2,5-dimethoxy-4-(n)- propylthiophenethylamine (2C-T-7). This practice of drug abuse involving combinations poses additional health risks to the users and the general public. Available information indicates that AMT and 5-MeO- DIPT lack any approved therapeutic use in the United States. The safety of these substances for use in humans has not been studied.


It is considered a public health threat because it is being sold on the black market as a recreational substance, often as something else. a-MT is unique; it is an MAOI which means that it will cause adverse reactions when mixed with other recreational drugs that people often take with psychedelics. These include caffeine, amphetamines, alcohol, and and a whole slew of other drugs. Reactions when taken with antidepressant drugs are likely to be very severe. a-MT also increases sensitivity to other substances as well, making an overdose more likely. It would be extremely dangerous for someone unfamiliar with its pharmacology to take the drug.

The full publication can be found here:
<http://www.cognitiveliberty.org/dll/amt_5meo-dipt_Dea_notice.htm>

Here is a document published by the DEA about the emergence of 5-MeO-DIPT and AMT abuse:
<http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/pubs/intel/02052/02052.html>

As of June 2002, AMT is not an item on the U.S. Federal schedule of narcotics; it is illegal (Schedule I) in the state of Illinois. The dangers, though, lie elsewhere. Being a research chemical there are no conclusive studies on addiction, long or short term effects, drug interactions or the more involved neurochemical processes.
What is known is that it acts as a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) -- while it was developed as an indole amphetamine analog it primariy functions as an antidepressant with hallucinagenic properties. In the 1960s it was available as a prescription antidepressant (named Indopan) in the Soviet Union and distributed in five and ten milligram capsules.
Its fate as an uncontrolled substance rests on the shoulders of its users. Recreational doses vary from twenty to over a hundred milligrams and overstepping ones personal limit by even fifty percent can and most likely will lead to extensive bouts of vomiting and diarrhea, not to mention bad trips.

I have never been particularly sensitive to psychotropic substances (Psylocybin, LSD, MDMA) and am notorious for my iron stomach, having not vomited from alcohol or sickness in fifteen years. Considering myself game for a medium dose of what was advertised as a mixture of MDMA and Psylocybin with a peak-time of seven hours, I chose to ingest fourty milligrams on a near-empty stomach.
I dosed at 11:30 PM Saturday, commenting to my girlfriend that everyone who had spoken to me about the drug had experienced some bouts of nausea, and that I might have to find a place to lie down if it were to affect me. Within ten minutes I felt queasy, another ten and I was sure that I would vomit any moment. With the nausea came a feeling of inner warmth, although it was faint in the presence of such sickness. I made my way to the bathroom and immediately noticed that the hallucinogenic effects had taken hold as well -- the colored dots on the bathroom tiles were playfully shifting around and I observed a heat-like flimmer on all distanced objects.
After the vomiting came the confusion -- up to that point I had always been able to control my mind trips. What made AMT different was that my thoughts themselves were fractalizing, and any mental venture would lead to a point of generality and origin. Still I was queasy, and that queasyness brought on by outside stimulus and would not subseed until later the next day.
All together it took two hours for the blinding sickness and confusion to subceed; while I still had the occasional urge to vomit I felt together enough to return to the ongoing street festival to enjoy the lights and possibly see some friends.

The problem with being in the grips of an overpowering psychoactive is that it has your complete attention. Moments can last for hours and hours can pass with the blink of an eye -- at the time this was still working against me, and again it wouldn't be until the next day that I regained control of my attention. The other major issue is that the drug made me feel both antsy and indecisive -- something else I had read about as a common side-effect.
It wasn't until noon the next day that the intensity lowered enough for me to enjoy the general effects of the substance -- light hallucinations, a general mood-lift and transient glimpses of the fractal nature of thought.
While my personal experience certainly does not invalidate AMT as a recreational substance, it should serve as a reminder that - especially with research chemicals - one should start with the lowest possible dose and slowly increase it. Also, listen to your body -- if ever you have the impulse of rejecting a chemical or cutting all ties to it, do so without hestitation -- especially if there is little officially known about the substance.

Amt (?), n.; pl. Amter (#), E. Amts (#). [Dan. & Norw., fr. G.]

An administrative territorial division in Denmark and Norway.

Each of the provinces [of Denmark] is divided into several amts, answering . . . to the English hundreds.
Encyc. Brit.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.