"A Hundred Yards Over the Rim" is the 23rd episode of the second season of The Twilight Zone, and was first broadcast in April of 1961. It starred Cliff Robertson as old west wagon train leader Chris Horn.

Chris Horn is leading a wagon train to California and is lost in a desert, getting low on supplies and with a child sick with pneumonia. The settlers are low on morale, but they are too far out to turn around. Horn goes out to find a source of water, and when he crosses a small ridge, he finds himself looking down at a highway and electrical poles. He then walks to a diner, where he is amazed by a jukebox, and eventually figures out he is in the future. What will his trip to the future mean for the survival of his wagon train, over a hundred years in the past?

This episode has good casting and setting, but it doesn't have time to develop its story. This isn't the first inexplicable time travel story in the Twilight Zone, and neither will it be the last. Twilight Zone stories work best when the fantastic element somehow directly relates to the natural tension of the plot. In this case, there is not a clear link: a man lost in the past makes a trip to the future, but there doesn't seem to be a natural connection between the story of a wagon train lost in the desert, and the idea of traveling into the future.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.