Fear cannot touch me...
It can only taunt me, it cannot take me, just tell me where to go...
I can either follow, or stay in bed...
I can hold on to the things that I know...
The dead stay dead, they cannot walk. The shadows are Darkness. And Darkness can't talk.
-Jeremy Conlin

A novel published in 2000 by Christopher Rice, son of Anne Rice the novelist, and Stan Rice the poet. It's a very emotional and vivid story, as you'd expect from Anne's son.

The story follows four kids, Brandon, Greg, Meredith, and Stephen as they grow up in New Orleans. Before they reach high school they are inseperable, the best of friends. On the first day of high school Stephen is rudely ejected from the group. The kids make fun of him and label him a faggot. Then two deaths rock the little community. Later, when secrets and lies about the two deaths are uncovered anger and violence ensue. By the end of the book it's hard to tell who the antagonists and the protagonists are. The characters do all sorts of nasty things to each other, and scramble to cover up their own mistakes. It's a rough reminder of our own mortality, and how imperfect we, as human beings, really are.

Altogether a chilling and epic tale. The imagery is vivid, the characters are genuine, and the plot will do circles around your head. I couldn't put it down. Your mileage may vary.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.