The X-files

3
Episode: 2X07
First aired:11/04/94
Written by: Chris ruppenthal, Glen Morgan, and James Wong
Directed by: David Nutter

The only episode that does not feature Gillian Anderson as Agent Scully becuase of Anderson's pregnancy.

A buisnessman is killed by a woman and her male acomplices. We see them sucking blood out of the man.

Mulder returns to his office after a couple of months, puts Scully's objects into her file in his files. He gets a call and we see him show up at the L.A. murder scene. Mulder notes that there have there have been 6 similar murders where the victim is drained of blood.

Mulder thinks he's on to a cult and finds one of the suspects at a blood bank. The suspect, John, says he's a vampire but Mulder is skepitcal and places John in a cell where the sunlight can hit him. John actually does burn to death.

Clues lead Mulder to a club where he meets Kristen who tells him that he's lost someone close (Scully). Kristen offers Mulder to taste her blood but he declines and she leaves with another man. Suspecting her, Mulder follows but is beaten up by the man who in turn is killed. Mulder learns from the coroner that there are three sets of bite marks on the victim.

Mulder finds Kristen again who tells her that she's running from the trio and that she's not part of the murdering trio. It is presumed that Mulder and Kristen go to bed together although we don't actually see anything...

They awake to find that John has come back from the dead and is with his pals. They escape and kill the female in the trio with a wooden stake. Kristen tastes the woman's blood to become part of the group. She procedes to burn down the house with her trio in it. Four bodies are found and Mulder is left alone clutching Scully's cross.


Important Quotes:
John -- "Don’t you want to live forever?"
Mulder -- "Well, not if drawstring pants come back into style."

Mulder -- "I didn’t check into a hotel room. I don’t sleep anymore."


Back to The X-files: Season 2
Also:

Released in 1988, 3 was the forth album put out by The Violent Femmes. Not a strong album, 3 does have redeeming qualities in the shape of some excellent decents into a kind of madness/depression the rest of their work is shielded from due to their usual lighthearted attitude. World We're Living In, Lies and See My Ships are particularly worth listening to.

Track Listing:

  1. Nightmares
  2. Just Like My Father
  3. Dating Days
  4. Fat
  5. Fool In The Full Moon
  6. Nothing Worth Living For
  7. World We're Living In
  8. Outside The Palace
  9. Telephone Book
  10. Mother Of A Girl
  11. Lies
  12. See My Ships

Divisibility rule:

If a number is evenly divisible by three, the sum of its digits (and the (recursive) sum of its digits, known as the number's digital root) will be evenly divisible by three.

Example: 6927 is divisible by 3 because 6+9+2+7 = 24, 2+4 = 6, and both 24 and 6 are divisible by 3.

Why does this work?

It works because in a base-10 number system, the place values correspond to powers of 10:

The ones place consists of a single digit (0-9) multiplied by 10 to the zero power, the tens place consists of a single digit (0-9) multiplied by 10 to the first power, the hundreds place consists of a single digit (0-9) multiplied by 10 to the second power, the thousands place consists of a single digit (0-9) multiplied by 10 to the third power, and so on...

So, 6927 = 6(10^3) + 9(10^2) + 2(10^1) + 7(10^0) = 6(1000) + 9(100) + 2(10) +7(1) = 6000 + 900 + 20 + 7

If we generalize this pattern for all base-10 numbers, we get:

a(10^n)...v(10^4) + w(10^3) + x(10^2) + y(10^1) + z(10^0)

For the sake of simplicity, I will continue my explanation using the generic four digit number "wxyz" which expands to w(10^3) + x(10^2) + y(10^1) + z(10^0).

Now, it should be clear that...

w(10^3) + x(10^2) + y(10^1) + z(10^0) = w(1000) + x(100) + y(10) + z(1)

Using the distributive law of real numbers, we can transform w(1000) + x(100) + y(10) + z(1) into its equivalent w(999 + 1) + x(99 + 1) + y(9+1) + z(1) and further split this out into w(999) + w(1) + x(99) + x(1) + y(9) + y(1) + z(1). Because we know that any number evenly divisible by 9 is evenly divisible by 3, we can disregard w(999), x(99), and y(9) when trying to determine if the original number "wxyz" is divisible by 3.

When we toss out w(999), x(99), and y(9), we are left with w(1) + x(1) + y(1) + z(1) = w+ x + y + z. Thus, the sum of the digits will determine whether or not the number itself is evenly divisible by three.

And if w+x+y+z > 9, we can optionally reapply the digital summation process in order to find the single-digit digital root.

3

"Yogh"

A letter from the Middle English alphabet, it is generally rendered "g" or "y" but in fact can imply a number of sounds:

  • g: as in "go"
  • gh: as in "knight" (Syr Gawayn and the Grene Kny3t)
  • ch: as in loch (such as the poet La3amon, written Layamon)
  • z: as in "wounde3," in "Sir Gawain," written "woundez" in most texts, meaning "wounds"

There is no standard equivalent to this letter in HTML, and so 3 is used, though best if the writer bothers to code it as 3 or 3, as it would appear in print. However, PMDBoi pointed out to me that Unicode does have something close: ʒ --the Unicode extention for the IPA symbols, where it "represents the postalveolar voiced fricative, or the 's' in 'leisure.'"

As for its use as either "g" or "y", just take a look at the John Wyclif w/u and you will see how "y" is used as a "g"--the letters were not yet made distinct.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.