An exclusive restaurant and nightclub in New York City, known also as the '21' Club but usually simply as '21'. It is named after its address: 21 West 52nd Street. Now owned by Orient-Express Hotels, who purchased the property in 1995. Was started as a speakeasy during Prohibition, but gained more widespread recognition after Prohibition was repealed in 1933. Every U.S. President since Franklin Delano Roosevelt has dined there, as have celebrities far, far too numerous to list here. The waiting list for common folks is often oppressively long.

What makes '21' remarkable is that in its speakeasy days, co-founders (and cousins) Jack Kriendler and Charlie Berns were able to elude capture for years by federal investigators. At the first sign of a raid, they activated an intricate system of pulleys and levers which would immediately dispose of all liquor bottles on the shelves. Also, the wine cellar was located next door, at 19 West 52nd Street.


On the web: http://www.21club.com

Also the legal drinking age in all states of the United States of America, the maximum possible score of a hand in blackjack, and a game show (see Twenty-One).

Frontmatter

“We may all possess wisdom if we are willing to be persuaded that the experience of others is as useful as our own. Why give to old age alone the privilege of wisdom? What would be thought of one who prided himself on possessing bracelets when he had lost his two arms in war?”

Yoritomo, the Japanese Philosopher.

BY
DR. FRANK CRANE

Being the article “If I Were Twenty-One”
which originally appeared in the American Magazine

Revised by the author

New York

WM. H. WISE & CO.

1930

Copyright, 1918, by
WM. H. WISE & CO.

All rights reserved, including that of translation into foreign languages, including the Scandinavian.

Copyright, 1917, by the
Crowell Publishing Company

A FOREWORD

The following note, by the editor of the American Magazine, appeared in conjunction with the publication of this story in that magazine:

In most of the biggest cities of the United States, from New York and Chicago down, you will find people who, every night of their lives, watch for and read in their evening paper an editorial by Frank Crane. These editorials are syndicated in a chain of thirty-eight newspapers, which reach many millions of readers. The grip which Crane has on these readers is tremendous. The reason is that the man has plenty of sensible ideas, which he presents simply and forcibly so that people get hold of them.

In reality, Crane is a wonderful preacher. Years ago, in fact, he was the pastor of a great church in Chicago. But he left the pulpit and took up writing because he had the ability to interest millions, and could reach them only by means of the printing press.

Doctor Crane lives in New York and does most of his work there.

PRELUDE

The voyager entering a new country will listen with attention to the traveller who is just returning from its exploration; and the young warrior buckling on his armour may be benefited by the experiences of the old warrior who is laying his armour off. I have climbed the Hill of Life, and am past the summit, I suppose, and perhaps it may help those just venturing the first incline to know what I think I would do if I had it to do over.

I have lived an average life. I have had the same kind of follies, fears, and fires my twenty-one-year-old reader has. I have failed often and bitterly. I have loved and hated, lost and won, done some good deeds and many bad ones. I have had some measure of success and I have made about every kind of mistake there is to make. In other words, I have lived a full, active, human life, and have got thus far safely along.

I am on the shady side of fifty. As people grow old they accumulate two kinds of spiritual supplies: one, a pile of doubts, questionings, and mysteries; and the other, a much smaller pile of positive conclusions. There is a great temptation to expatiate upon the former subjects, for negative and critical statements have a seductive appearance of depth and much more of a flavour of wisdom than clear and succinct declarations. But I will endeavour to resist this temptation, and will set down, as concisely as I can, some of the positive convictions I have gained.

For the sake of orderly thought, I will make Ten Points. They might of course just as well be six points or forty, but ten seems to be the number most easily remembered, since we have ten fingers, first and “handiest” of counters.

CONTENTS

  1. If I were Twenty-One I would “do the next thing”
  2. If I were Twenty-One I would adjust myself
  3. If I were Twenty-One I would take care of my body
  4. If I were Twenty-One I would train my mind
  5. If I were Twenty-One I would be happy
  6. If I were Twenty-One I would get married
  7. If I were Twenty-One I would save money
  8. If I were Twenty-One I would study the art of pleasing
  9. If I were Twenty-One I would determine, even if I could never be anything else in the world, that I would be a thoroughbred
  10. If I were Twenty-One I would make some permanent, amicable arrangement with my conscience

Backmatter

End of the Project Gutenberg EBook of 21, by Frank Crane

*** END OF THIS PROJECT GUTENBERG EBOOK 21 ***

***** This file should be named 23659-h.htm or 23659-h.zip *****
This and all associated files of various formats will be found in:
http://www.gutenberg.org/2/3/6/5/23659/

Produced by Barbara and Bill Tozier.

Updated editions will replace the previous one–the old editions will be renamed.

Creating the works from public domain print editions means that no one owns a United States copyright in these works, so the Foundation (and you!) can copy and distribute it in the United States without permission and without paying copyright royalties. Special rules, set forth in the General Terms of Use part of this license, apply to copying and distributing Project Gutenberg-tm electronic works to protect the PROJECT GUTENBERG-tm concept and trademark. Project Gutenberg is a registered trademark, and may not be used if you charge for the eBooks, unless you receive specific permission. If you do not charge anything for copies of this eBook, complying with the rules is very easy. You may use this eBook for nearly any purpose such as creation of derivative works, reports, performances and research. They may be modified and printed and given away–you may do practically ANYTHING with public domain eBooks. Redistribution is subject to the trademark license, especially commercial redistribution.

See the Project Gutenberg License

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.