Vermont was one of the earliest states to start voting on Super Tuesday, although its vote was not completed until sometime early Wednesday morning.

Vermont, like Massachusetts, is one of the nation's most liberal states, and the Republican electorate there is not representative of the nation as a whole. Also, because of its small population and its politics, it has a small number of available delegates.

Nevertheless, a primary is a primary, and Vermont's Super Tuesday Primary did have some interest in it. Mitt Romney was expected to be the winner, but there were two questions: by how much, and whether Ron Paul could pull off an upset win.

The answers to these questions are: by a little bit, and no. Mitt Romney got 39% of the vote (which seems to be his favorite number) followed by Ron Paul with 25% and Rick Santorum with 24%.

There are two interesting things I took away from the Vermont contest, one of the evening's less exciting contests. First, just as there are still lots of Mitt Romney supporters in Oklahoma, there are plenty of Rick Santorum supporters in Vermont. The primary electorate is not quite as polarized as the general election electorate, just yet. The other fact is that Vermont shows that while Ron Paul has made great progress this year across the board, he is probably not going to win any states. Vermont was one of states where Paul could expect to do well, and while he did do well, it didn't raise him above second place. Along with the results in places like Idaho and Alaska, it looks like Ron Paul's chances of winning a state are rapidly diminishing.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.