According to the Bible, the dowry that David gave to Saul for his bride, Michal.

1 Samuel 18:25-27:

When David wanted to marry the king Saul's daughter, he asked David to bring to him a hundred foreskins of the Philistines, that he may be avenged of the king's enemies.

David arose and went, along with his men, and killed two hundred of the Philistines; and David brought their foreskins which were given in full number to the king that he might become the king's son-in-law.

Moral: If you have a rough relationship with your father-in-law, follow the Biblical example: go out and kill 200 guys he doesn't like, then surprise him with a gift of 200 foreskins.

If you read 1 Samuel you'll discover that Saul is continually jealous and suspicious of David. I always interpreted this passage as an example of an "impossible task" motif of folklore: the father who doesn't like a particular young man gives him an apparently impossible task--usually one that is expected to result in his death. Of course, the young man goes out and achieves this impossible task--and in this case, David goes the extra mile and kills another hundred Philistines, just to make his point clear.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.