Real name: 'Allo 'Allo. Popular and extremely humorous British sitcom, broadcast by the BBC from 1982 till 1992.
The plot:
Rene Francois Artois (played by Gordon Kaye) just wants enough peace and quiet to run his cafe and "'ave it off" with his waitresses without his wife Edith (played by Carmen Silvera) catching him out. Unfortunately, there's a small matter of a war (World War II) to contend with. The French Resistance want him to help them to repatriate escaped British airmen, while Rene wants to avoid being shot by the Germans.
And that's it, basically :-) Now go and watch this splendid series again.
But you are also forgetting that the British Secret Service sent over their top agent Officer Crabtree (Arthur Bostrum) to aid in the fight against the Germans who were also Rene's most frequent customers - especially the camp Lt Gruber whose only loves in life seemed to be his little tank and Rene himself (obviously Rene's 'bravery' attracted more than just all of the French women in the show). The German military were portrayed as bumbling nest-feathering cowards and the only true fascist in the show was gestapo officer Herr Flick who never showed any emotion, even when being ravished by Helga (the fearsome female German officer).

The script was so well written that the show managed to run 9 series without the audience getting bored of the running jokes including the British airmen and the saga of everyone trying to get their hands on the painting of the 'Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies'. It's a shame they don't make them like they used to.

Perhaps the most important factor in the program was the imaginative use of accents: the main characters (i.e. the Cafe staff: Rene (Gordon Kaye), Edith (Carmen Silvera), and the two waitresses all spoke English with French accents. All the Germans obviously spoke with German accents, but when Officer Crabtree speaks, since he is really English, he speaks a sort of 'Pidgin' French, which turns out, for example:

"I was just pissing the got"

to mean

"I was just passing the gate"

This demonstrates to the audience (who are presumably meant to be "French"), that the character has either not got a good grasp of French, or (more likely, to me at least) that the French don't have a good grasp of English, as when the French Resistance girl (Michelle?) speaks to the British Airmen, the dialogue will be spoken like the example above, in a posh British (Received Pronunciation) voice, to demonstrate that she is speaking English (as when she speaks French to Rene et al, it is with a French accent).

I'm not really sure how to make this less confusing...

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.