All right, Physics and Chemistry are interesting, but
we want to hear more about people.
A Social Sciences Quest
Everything2 is not just an online encyclopedia, it's a community. Hard sciences may underly the engineering that makes Everything2 possible, but people choose which technology to create and use, and people build communities. Quite a few people are interested in how communities are built, but some of us here feel that the Everything2 encyclopedia covers the hard sciences much more thoroughly than it does the social sciences.
And so, this quest. This will probably be the only general "social sciences" quest, but future quests on individual disciplines are likely. We are looking for high-quality, in depth writeups on social sciences, submitted between July 4, 2003 and July 11, 2003, midnight server time. Rewards (see below) will be distributed beginning on 7/12/2003.
The quest is now over; submissions are no longer being accepted.
Each submission should be a new writeup or a thoroughly expanded existing writeup covering one or more topics of:
- Anthropology (including sociolinguistics),
- (Human) Geography,
- Political Science,
- Psychology (emphasizing specialties other than clinical psychology), or
Biographies of famous social scientists will also be considered.
Despite the seeming exclusion of certain topics above, there are no firm lines here. Submit what you like, as long as it's somehow "social". Writeups on topics of History, Urban Planning, Environmental Science, and even Mathematics will be considered, if they illustrate a topic from one of the major disciplines.
As always, plagiarism will have dire consequences for the perpetrator.
- anthropod (anthropology, sociology, political science)
- Cletus the Foetus (economics)
- Gorgonzola (geography)
How to enter
A noder who wishes to revamp one of his or her own writeups should:
- Put the revised text in his or her scratchpad (don't post yet!),
- Send a /msg as described above,
- Wait for a reply as to whether we've looked at both versions,
- Post the revised text.
- An extra C! from one of the quest sponsors
- An extra 10 XP
- The satisfaction of a job well done, and/or
- A big sloppy kiss from EDB.
Sumbit as many entries as you like, but there will be one reward per noder.
- cleavage, party discipline, and Westminster model by vapour (PS)
- Audience costs in the terrorist theatre and Causes of terrorism by witnie (PS)
- Democracy and Pakistan by blessedangel (PS)
- Confederation by BuddyCthulhu (PS)
- Sprezzatura by Gethsemane (S)
- Sidewalk by Pint (S)
- Boontling by Ravenword (L)
- Draco by jwfxpr (PS)
- conflict theory and structural functionalism by IlliniRockstar (S)
- Subcultural theory by Supermerp (S)
- Reconciling Perspectives on Media Policy: Transcending the Marketplace of Ideas by Lucy-S (S)
- The effects of inflation by grunt3r (E)
- Recent changes in service sector employment in the UK by Osmosis (EG)
- discourse marker and observer's paradox by princess loulou (L)
- Education in America by asterix (S)
- Turkana Boy and Java Man by Scribe (A)
- B.F. Skinner and behaviorism by drownzsurf (P) (revised)
- The Civil War and Reconstruction as a political and social revolution by Bookw56 (PS)
- consumers and antitrust by ariels (E)
- Indulgences by Davidian (S)
- How Not to Start an EU Council Presidency by twilight009 (PS)