For a portion of the summer, I had the opportunity to dye my hair blue. Having blue hair is an enjoyable experience I'd suggest to anyone, it certainly makes life interesting. It helped get through a summer in a very boring town. But I sure did get a lot of weird comments. They ranged as anything from 'is that natural?' to 'did you spill paint on your hair?' Probably the most common questions I got from old people was 'It's just for the summer right?' or 'does it wash out?' Also common was 'Why?'. (it's something you cant really explain to a redneck in a convenience store in Nevada). Most younger people asked me 'whoa, how'd you get that color?' or 'what type of dye did you use?' When my parents saw it they simply said 'Whoa.. it IS blue'. I guess they didnt believe me.

All kinds of other interesting things happened to me when my hair was blue. When I was in the desert visiting Bodie, someone recognized me who had seen me at Rock Creek over 100 miles away. Having blue hair isnt good if you desire anonymity... don't yell things at people out of cars if you have blue hair. Also, part of my tub is now stained blue. Some idiot smacked me over the head randomly with a beer bottle at a show in San Jose and the beer in my hair turned blue and dribbled down on me, turning most of my shirt blue. Throughout the few months I had blue hair, I had to touch it up a lot. If you want to dye your hair use Special Effects brand.. don't use Manic Panic.

Anyway... if you have a job which will allow it, and you get bored, you can always give it a try. It sure did get a lot of girls to come up and talk to me, which is a good thing. It got me funny looks from middle aged people but who really cares what they think anyway? If you live in the boonies you might get pulled over by a cop or something. Also I literally had some cars almost crash when driving by me... which I thought was pretty funny because where I come from, dyed hair is no big thing. But... I would say that everyone should dye their hair while in college.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.