One of my favorite Pixies songs for several reasons, including numerous Biblical referrences, and (like many Pixies songs) it's simple enough that I can jam with it on my bass guitar. Plus, it's just plain cool.

Rock me Joe!

Note about Biblical referrences:
I've been known to be very wrong about these types of things, especially since I've never in fact read the Bible, but I'm fairly certain that this song is basically one giant allusion.

Now I don't know much about the rest of the Bible, but I recall that in Revelations, there is mention of the Seven Seals, each of which is released during the so called Apocalypse. The first four unleash the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, Death, Famine, Pestilence, and War. The fifth was some way or another representative of mankind, and the sixth released a beast of Hell I think. I never got as far as the seventh seal, but one of these days I'll pick up the Good Book and write more here.

The whole "creature in the sky" part seems a referrence to Satan's descent into Hell. And the first bit about the "underwater guy" I know is in the Bible somewhere, but damned if I know for sure. I don't think New York and New Jersey were mentioned though.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.