The "Devo Hat", offically known as an Energy Dome was worn by Devo during the Freedom Of Choice tour, and in the Girl U Want and Whip It videos. Energy Domes returned for the 1982 Oh, No! It's Devo! tour, the 1988 Total Devo tour, and in almost every subsequent Devo performance. The hat is red, and resembles a rounded off four tier ziggurat. Energy Domes were available for sale through Club Devo for many years. The original Club Devo domes were smaller than the concert-worn counterparts, and had a small lip on the bottom tier as well as D E V O in raised letters on top. In 1996, when Devo performed at Lollapalooza, they sold new Energy Domes, this time designed to replicate the domes worn in concert. The new domes were larger, did not have the raised text, and came with a foam insert to better fit the head.

Recently, the company that manufactures the Energy Dome, Chaser Shirts, released a new Dome. This dome is sized the same as the 1996 version, but is made entirely of red plastic, like the 1980 domes. The 1996 domes were white and spray painted red.

There are variations on the Energy Dome, including a white dome used in Devo's Diet Coke ad, a purple and white dome for the Go Monkey Go music video, and silver chrome domes for the 2002 performances with Tony Hawk's Boom Boom Huck Jam extreme sports tour. In 2003, Chaser Shirts, while experimenting with new materials for the domes, created a dome in black textured plastic. This is now in the possession of Devo Geek Michael Pilmer. In 2004, Devo sported dark gray domes on an episode of VH1's True Spin. Also, Devo has sported new blue domes for their performances on Nike's Run Hit Wonder tour.

But, what is an Energy Dome, anyway? According to Gerald V. Casale, "It was designed according to ancient ziggaurat mound proportions used in votive worship. Like the mounds it collects energy and recirculates it. In this case the Dome collects energy that escapes from the crown of the human head and pushes it back into the Medula Oblongata for increased mental energy. It's very important that you buy a cheap plastic hardhat liner, adjust it to your head size and affix it with duct tape or Super Glue to the inside of the Dome. This allows the Dome to "float" just above the cranium and thus do its job. Unfortunately, sans hard hat liner, the recirculation of energy WILL NOT occur." There you have it. The Energy Dome recirculates lost mental energies. Pick one up today!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.